Hello from Gloucestershire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randommoose

Über Member
Hi,

I came across this forum when looking for some information and so decided to join so here I am!

I have a Schwinn Adventurer GS (ladies). When I lived in Surrey I used it for getting to uni and then for commuting (normally with panniers loaded with instruments etc as I am a music teacher). Did about 2500 miles a year. Then I moved to Gloucestershire and on the day I moved, injured both knees (lifting, not cycling) so couldn't ride at all for a while and stairs were bad too. So, that combined with living in the middle of hilly nowhere meant I stopped cycling.

I have recently moved within Gloucestershire and am now in a flat area and my knees are good enough to cycle (not tried any hills or loaded panniers though). So I would like to get back into it! Current commute wouldn't work unless I was fitter (12.5 miles each way) so it will just be pleasure cycling for now. However, in a year and a bit I will be moving, hopefully to London to start a paramedic degree, so I would want to sell my car and motorbike and just use the bicycle to get around.

I am considering getting a different bike as I have some problems with the current one:
a) it is HEAVY (17kgs) and you really feel the weight at times.
:biggrin: I think I want to have drops - I changed the flats to butterfly bars (installed quite flat so I can stretch out) but I still feel I need more stretch to be comfy.
c) it is slow - even when I was fit, about 22mph was the fastest I could get it but average cruising speed was only 16-18mph.
d) the tyres feel 'draggy' (yes they are pumped up to spec) so I think I want narrower tyres.
e) the brakes were constantly needing adjustment (often while riding) to not rub on the wheels. Maybe I haven't found the magic way to adjust it.

However, the bike works well (apart from the brakes moving) and is in very good condition (I bought it new). It is also good for carrying stuff. It has front suspension which I don't need.

What I would ideally like is a bike that is light(er), fast(er), has drops, has good brakes, can carry panniers (with light loads, maybe occasionally a heavy load, often no panniers), multiple gears, narrow tyres, mudguards, bottle attachment. Saddle is unimportant since I have my own (Selle SMP Strike TRK - does the job). I reckon this leads to a touring bike. Either that or keep and adjust the Schwinn for riding with loads and get a road bike for everything else.

If I do change bikes, I will need to buy secondhand due to lack of money. I might also need to wait a few months. My inside leg is 30'' so that is frame size of 19''. The Schwinn is 17'' but that is a hybrid. I am female but would be fine with a men's bike.

So, the upshot of all this is, what sort of things should I be looking out for in a secondhand tourer (or should I be aiming for something completely different)?

Sorry it is such a long introduction post but I thought I might as well get all the information done in one go.

Moose :ohmy:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hello Moose, welcome to the forum. :biggrin:

You are probably best posting your questions actually in the Beginners section as more people will read them and are more likely to give answers.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Welcome Moose :sad:

As HJ says - better visibility in the main Beginners forum section for your questions. For what it's worth; 16-18mph cruising speed on a hefty 17KG bike isn not what I'd call slow :biggrin:

Cheers,
SD

Hi Moose,

You obviously like cycling - i'd keep the existing bike and get a road bike for the pleasure cycling as you suggest rather than a one-bike compromise.At least this way you can get some tasty road tyres etc for when you want to burn a bit of tarmac.

Bigtwin

Hello M - welcome.

I live in Surrey and have family in Gloucs - my experience is that it's flatter here than there - you must live near the Waterpark eh?

OP
OP
R

Randommoose

Über Member
Hi.

Thanks for your replies - it always feels good to get replies to a topic. I have created a post in the Beginners section so we will see how that goes.

SittingDuck - the 16-18mph cruising average was just that, cruising, not total average (which was about 12 because of traffic lights etc). It was also with a loaded bike so probably was about 20kg or something. :eek: I don't think I could do anything like that at the moment though due to loss of knee strength and general loss of fitness.

BigTwin - yes (assuming you mean Tewkesbury)! I have never ever liked doing hills, especially since there was a nightmare of a one by uni - long, narrow and steep - cars had to go right down the gears too. I really prefer the flat.

Moose :eek:

Bigtwin

Randommoose said:
BigTwin - yes (assuming you mean Tewkesbury)! I have never ever liked doing hills, especially since there was a nightmare of a one by uni - long, narrow and steep - cars had to go right down the gears too. I really prefer the flat.

Moose :eek:

Aaah, but with no hills there would be no flats.

Probably. If you need any more vacuous psycho babble slightly off topic, you're in the right place...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I'll have you know Ian that cruise at a very respectable 16-17mph on my Globe and 18-19 on the road bike :biggrin:

Top Bottom