Hello from hilly Sheffield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamG40

Hi there,

About to take the plunge and get my first road bike. I'm getting it through the cycle to work scheme and hoping to use it for commuting and getting some miles in of an evening and at the weekend. I've narrowed it down to two bikes with a bit of a price difference, torn between saving a bit of cash or pushing the boat out and going up a couple of steps in terms of kit. If anyone has any opinion on them I've put them below.

Brill site by the way. I've been lurking for a week or so and I've learnt loads (tech jargon) and its given me plenty to think about in terms of road manners etc.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/trek-21c-road-bike-leopard-id62830.html
http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s6p8331

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
hi and welcome , wow there both a lot of money for a first road bike , but then scrooge has nothing on me

OP
OP
S

SamG40

Well being a tight yorkshireman then yes they are a lot of money to me too but I am hoping that will be even more motivation to get it used than it sitting in the garage. If anyone has any nearly as capable but cheaper ideas I'm all ears!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi & welcome. Sheffield is very hilly (only ever driven there as my son used to live near Cemetery Road). Evans have some deals of Specialized bikes........think there is £300 off some models-might be worth looking at- James' will match any prices?

Maz

Guru
Hello & Welcome, SamG40.
Sheffield - my home town. Living in Leicester these days but go back when I can.

OP
OP
S

SamG40

Hi & welcome. Sheffield is very hilly (only ever driven there as my son used to live near Cemetery Road). Evans have some deals of Specialized bikes........think there is £300 off some models-might be worth looking at- James' will match any prices?

I used to live near Cemetry Road many years ago.

You are limited to what discount you can get by using the cycle to work scheme but James' and Langsett both give my work 10% off. I suppose I was really hoping someone would come along and go 'thats a ludicrous amount to spend on your first bike etc' and show me something much cheaper and more suitable but I'm not sure that is going to happen. I think basically on Saturday I'll be going to sign up for the Trek and getting kitted out with a helmet etc.

native son

Hi there,

About to take the plunge and get my first road bike. I'm getting it through the cycle to work scheme and hoping to use it for commuting and getting some miles in of an evening and at the weekend. I've narrowed it down to two bikes with a bit of a price difference, torn between saving a bit of cash or pushing the boat out and going up a couple of steps in terms of kit. If anyone has any opinion on them I've put them below.

Brill site by the way. I've been lurking for a week or so and I've learnt loads (tech jargon) and its given me plenty to think about in terms of road manners etc.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/trek-21c-road-bike-leopard-id62830.html
http://www.langsettcycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s6p8331
Hi. I started cycling 18 months ago around elsecar, Chapletown , Wentworth. Also hilly . About to start commuting toHallamshire hosp. More hills
Got my road bike on bike to work from racescene . Barnsley.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I suppose I was really hoping someone would come along and go 'thats a ludicrous amount to spend on your first bike etc' and show me something much cheaper and more suitable but I'm not sure that is going to happen..

You will find that most (if not all) manufacturers use the same frame for a series of bikes e.g. all the bikes in the Trek 4 range you are looking at have the same frame & forks (according to the blurb). Once you have selected that range you can then save/spend more money by going Trek 4.1 or 4.2 etc.......the difference being better/worse gears/wheels etc.
The bike you are looking at has Shimano 105 gears. Shimano Tiagra are less expensive and will do everything you want as they have an excellent reputation.
I notice that model is a "special edition" so the rules might not apply the same...go back to the shop and ask what Trek models have the same frame with Tiagra gears........you might easily save £150-200.
Trek has good rep.......I no nothing about Scott bikes.

Top Bottom