Hello from Hoo, nr Rochester, Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gregster

Hello everyone.
Like most, have been using the site for a while but never really looked at this section before.
Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments on my posts, it has helped make my return to cycling a pleasure.
I live in a (large) village called Hoo which is near Rochester, and since last summer have been cycling the lanes locally and occasionally ventured further afield, but due to my work, and the weather, my trips out have been limited since November. I got myself a Ltd Ed Boardman Team Carbon in December through my C2W scheme and cannot wait for the days to get longer again I can take advantage of it, not just the odd weekday and weekend ride.
I'm looking to join a club, but have to admit to being a bit nervous. Don't want to look like an idiot turning up and not managing it, so will probably wait until I'm a bit fitter and then find a local one.
I used to cycle a lot in my teens, but then girls and work got in the way and my bike stayed in the garage, but really wanted to get back to it and was loaned a bike in May last year. Gave me the bug, and motivation, to get out again. I usually do a short training route of about 12 miles as much as I can and then up that to 30-40miles when time permits. Managed the 80km circuit of Kent Sportive last September and will be looking at doing some more events this year.
I usually cycle alone, so if anyone needs an imtermittent cycling buddy around the Medway area, it'd be good to have some like minded company.

Hi -:blush:

looks a bargain at the price - enjoy.

bauldbairn

Belated Welcome to the Forum gregster, hopefully we'll get get a review of your Boardman Ltd from you once the weather picks up and you start getting the miles in. There are quite a few people on this site who bought them - very nice bike indeed. ;)

OP
OP
G

gregster

In answer to your question Colin:
Much of the peninsula lies in one of the Saxon divisions of England called 'hundreds': here it is the 'Hundred of Hoo'. To be precise, the Hundred comprised the parishes and churches of Hoo St Werburgh, High Halstow, St Mary's Hoo, Allhallows and part of Stoke. The Isle of Grain, then a complete island, was in the Hundred of Gillingham; the remainder of the parish of Stoke was in the Hundred of Shamel.
William the Conqueror granted his half-brother, Odo, the large estate of Hoo.

History lesson over!!

Wish I did have a butler to wash the bike, especially as it's taking nearly as long to do so as riding it at the moment!!

Thanks for the welcomes, seems to be a lack of riders around here though!

Chrisz

Über Member
gregster, There are plenty of us down the road a little ;)

I'm in Sittingbourne, San Fairey are local, as are Ashford Wheelers and Downlands - plenty of choice of clubs if that's what you want?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
gregster said:
In answer to your question Colin:
Much of the peninsula lies in one of the Saxon divisions of England called 'hundreds': here it is the 'Hundred of Hoo'. To be precise, the Hundred comprised the parishes and churches of Hoo St Werburgh, High Halstow, St Mary's Hoo, Allhallows and part of Stoke. The Isle of Grain, then a complete island, was in the Hundred of Gillingham; the remainder of the parish of Stoke was in the Hundred of Shamel.
William the Conqueror granted his half-brother, Odo, the large estate of Hoo.

History lesson over!!
Interesting - I'd never heard of that before. The term doesn't seem to have survived in many other places though.

OP
OP
G

gregster

Chrisz said:
gregster, There are plenty of us down the road a little :smile:

I'm in Sittingbourne, San Fairey are local, as are Ashford Wheelers and Downlands - plenty of choice of clubs if that's what you want?

Thanks Chris, I don't mind travelling a bit to get to a club, or social ride. I look after my son on Saturdays as the wife works, and my hours during the week are very unpredictable so cannot commit to anything then. What clubs are down that way Chris. Have found a club at Wigmore which do Sunday morning runs, so may give them a try.

frank9755

Cyclist
ColinJ said:
Interesting - I'd never heard of that before. The term doesn't seem to have survived in many other places though.

The Chiltern Hundreds (as in Steward of, the loophole which enables an MP to resign) are another well-known example.

I used to live in Cliffe Woods and cycled the country lanes of the Hoo Peninsula endlessly as a child in the 70s. I went back for a ride round the area 30 years on last summer and really enjoyed it.

In particular I was looking forward to seeing how I went on the last hill up from Cooling to High Halstow, which was a killer in my youth. I thought that perhaps with 9 times as many gears on my bike (27 now vs 3 then) and many more miles in my legs, it wouldn't seem so steep. But it was! I could only inch up it in bottom gear, just like the old days!

Happy cycling round those (now not quite so quiet) country lanes!

Top Bottom