Hello from Kendal, Cumbria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kendalcottages

Hi everyone

More of a runner than a cyclist but would like to do a little more. I only have a mountain biker - and have hardly ever tried a racing bike - but I guess we've all got to start somewhere... :biggrin:

bauldbairn

Welcome to the CC forums kendalcottages. :biggrin:

Why not try fitting a set of 26" semi-slick road tyres to your MTB, then pumping them up to road pressures(80psi) and locking out your suspension. :ohmy:
This will give you a feel for riding on the road - before you get a road bike. :biggrin:

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

That's already sounding technical to me! :tongue:

Although it's just a mountain bike I have, I tend to use it mostly on road...

bauldbairn

Not meant to sound too technical sorry! :tongue:

Most MTBers(mountain bikers) tend to complain on here that they need to put in more effort riding their MTB's on the road. The solution is usually to pump more air into their tyres - I think MTB tyres(knobblies) tend to be softer(40psi)for more grip off road. The soft tyre causes more rolling resistance making them harder to pedal on the road. Slicks(road tyres) are often fitted to MTB's for commuting/riding on roads, road tyre tend to be harder/faster - and can be bought for £10ish each. Bouncy front suspension is another complaint on the roads - most can be locked out, this stops it moving. :tongue:

I have an old style MTB with no suspension - and use it mostly on the road with road tyres. :thumbsup:

This was just a suggestion to make your off road MTB more road friendly if that was what you fancied. :biggrin:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Hi there, welcome to the forum,
Good to see another south lakelander here.
I did exactly the same thing to my MTB before I bought a road bike. Bought from Evans in Kendal. Best thing I ever did. I bought a road bike later from Wheelbase in Staveley.
I'd not go back to mountain biking now.

Shaun

Founder
kendalcottages said:
More of a runner than a cyclist ...

Don't worry, we try to make everyone feel welcome here.

Besides, those knees won't take a pounding forever so getting your cycling legs sorted now is a good idea ... :wacko:

Welcome to CC, and don't be afraid to ask questions - there are lots of really helpful people here who will be more than happy to explain things in non-technical terms. (I'm rubbish at the technical stuff myself, but don't tell anyone!! ;))

Cheers,
Shaun :tongue:

ChristinaJL

Hi, and welcome.

Love the Lakes for walking/climbing - yet to tackle any of the hills your way on a bike. Can you recommend any good road routes? :smile:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome :biggrin:

OP
OP
kendalcottages

kendalcottages

Thank you for all the kind welcomes everyone.

I'm not really that au fait with road routes in the area, but there's lots of road-like cycling where I am, where it's not too busy. There are tarmaced (sp?) paths/areas around Kendal that don't cars, etc. Ditto on the road from here to Windermere (some of it at least).

A number of my friends are doing the Fred Whitton challenge but, although I ran the Windermere Marathon, that kind of cycling is waaaay out of my league. :biggrin:

Top Bottom