Hello from Leeds!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outofbreath

Morning all,

I have just taken to cycling the 6 or 7 miles into work from Pudsey to Leeds.

This is in a Carerra Subway bought from Halfords on a bike for work scheme. Apologies in advance for the bike/ shop... but I think I would still have been unsure about what to buy if I had thought about it for another month!

First outing on Friday was quite successful! I beat the bus home anyway!

Cheers

Outofbreath - still!

Morning.
No need to apologise for the bike (altho maybe for the shop :biggrin: ). It's the rider that makes the biggest difference. Welcome to the forums. How you finding commuting to work? I started after a long layoff about 2 months ago. The first 4 weeks or so were hard going but loving it now. Just seem to get to work more awake and ready to go (home!!!:whistle: ).

Speaking of Halfords. Followed one of their cycling "experts" for a couple of mins today. Had a horrendous noise coming from his bike. As I whipped past him I realised he had a misaligned rear mudguard which was bouncing off the tyre. How could he ride it like that!!!

OP
OP
O

outofbreath

Cheers!

I have only managed it twice so far! I am finding I need to add some extra gear to the bike and sort some high-vis stuff with the onset of sudden dark nights!

So have got myself an atura nightvision vest and next purchase is going to be mud guards. I don't want the weather to put me off riding but now realise I need the right gear first...

I'm well up for it though. Every day I hand over my £4.30 bus fare I stare out of the window thinking 'I wish I was on my bike today!'

I know what you mean about halfords... But I got the bike through a work scheme so was stuck as to where to get it from!

What is your rough route etc? I'm finding the ring road a touch intimidating and I think a lot of my energy has gone in tension/ anxiety about the traffic... Presume 'relaxed riding' is a bit of a knack I need to develop...

woodfordp

good luck with the commuting - always difficult at first, amazing how your fitness improved in a short time.

Halfords - they should be apologising not you! and the bike, it's like photography 90% the photographer, 10% the gear - but shiny new Nike stuff does make us faster, doesn't it?! Sure your bike us great, all about opinions.

I got some SKS thermoplastic mudguards for our commuter bike, light and do a great job.

I have only managed it twice so far! I am finding I need to add some extra gear to the bike and sort some high-vis stuff with the onset of sudden dark nights!
Don't spend a fortune on clothing. I use Aldi stuff for the most past and it's done the job so far. Plus have a yellow jacket from Moutain Warehouse. If you're after visability get some good lights. One of the 1st things I invested in - have 2x1/2 watt Smart's on the back (one flashing and one not), and RSP6's on the front. Everyone will suggest different things - but as long as you're visible then that's the main thing!

What is your rough route etc? I'm finding the ring road a touch intimidating and I think a lot of my energy has gone in tension/ anxiety about the traffic... Presume 'relaxed riding' is a bit of a knack I need to develop...
I don't ride that side of Leeds other than for recreation - so I'm probably not the best to advise about rush hour traffic. There are others on here who live that way out and will probably comment and know of routes/shortcuts I don't?!?! There's an article on here about safe riding and road positioning that you'll probably find useful (I did!) Follow that, relax, make sure your visible, and be aware of what's going on around you and you'll be fine!!

OP
OP
O

outofbreath

Thanks for the tips, all very usefull.

Had a another run in today with it being dry. Glad I put my thermal gloves on!

I have purchased some SKS muguards too but these things seem to be a nuisance to fit! No screws to fasten the stays to the bike and I too have to hacksaw the the supports to get them to fit! German engineering at it's worst!

Thanks again for the hints and tips. Appreciated.

Still outofbreath!

Top Bottom