Hello, from Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Hahaha no, i know from driving that there are a lot of 'dangerous' people out and about! I've only clocked 48 miles thus far but i've have two dangerous overtakes already - and one was whilst doing 25mph so i wasn't holding them up too much (this van had plenty of room but still past within inches) :rolleyes:

Loving the cycling so far though, i'm planning on commuting from Altrincham to Manchester (just near the BBC building), via Princess Parkway, starting in a couple of weeks... Have you got any tips? :tongue:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
DaleB said:
Hahaha no, i know from driving that there are a lot of 'dangerous' people out and about! I've only clocked 48 miles thus far but i've have two dangerous overtakes already - and one was whilst doing 25mph so i wasn't holding them up too much (this van had plenty of room but still past within inches) :rolleyes:

Loving the cycling so far though, i'm planning on commuting from Altrincham to Manchester (just near the BBC building), via Princess Parkway, starting in a couple of weeks... Have you got any tips? :tongue:
Avoid crashing and stupid drivers and try to stay alive. :biggrin:

Princess Parkway, from Altrincham? Which way are you heading to get there? (presuming via Sale Water park/Chorlton link but not overly familiar with the area).

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Avoid crashing and stupid drivers and try to stay alive. :rolleyes:

Princess Parkway, from Altrincham? Which way are you heading to get there? (presuming via Sale Water park/Chorlton link but not overly familiar with the area).

Ha, some sound advice cheers :biggrin:

Yes, it's more from Timperley though... Will be heading past Wythenshawe Park and then along the Parkway, however, just thought like you said it might be better going via Sale Water Park! I'm going to have a few practice runs on the w/e after the 'tour' i'm doing with 'Jmetz' so i'll see which way is fastest/safest :tongue:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Just looked at Google maps... didn't realise Princess Parkway went that far South. Slightly longer route would be to do A56 (Washway Road) and then follow that in through Stretford - Hulme - Oxford Road... it's the route I join and is pretty fast flowing and reasonably wide. Also great fun nipping past all the cars which would be queueing down near Altrincham for a large portion of it!! :tongue::biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
DaleB said:
Ha, some sound advice cheers :rolleyes:

Yes, it's more from Timperley though... Will be heading past Wythenshawe Park and then along the Parkway, however, just thought like you said it might be better going via Sale Water Park! I'm going to have a few practice runs on the w/e after the 'tour' i'm doing with 'Jmetz' so i'll see which way is fastest/safest :tongue:
Hi daleb,that route's going to be a baptism of fire for a newbie,but it'll give you a very quick learning curve I would have thought.Good idea that to do the route a couple of times during quieter times.
I commute from near Brooklands RAB down past Wythenshawe park then on to Stockport,though I do an 'off peak' time so traffic is slightly less.
You could maybe try going down Wythenshawe road to avoid some of the Altrincham road traffic but the surface is not the best,don't know the water park route but that might be a good option too,have fun:smile:

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Cheers,

Yea i've finished uni now but go back as a post-grad in July, so i've got all of June to get a decent route sorted... I'm going to try all of your suggestions and see which ones best (gliding past all the standing traffic seems like a good prospect tho ;) - because if i was driving i'd be stuck in it!)

I'll definitely be trying at least four, by the time i come to commuting i should be fit and confident on the road so fast roads aren't really an issue :ohmy:

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you need a pit stop just outside Blackburn I'm a few yards off your route in Knowsley Road, turn left just after the Bull's Head on the A666 Clitheroe road. Stop just after the little river bridge and look for a grey pebbledashed house with arched windows in the gable end.

OP
OP
DaleB

DaleB

Globalti said:
If you need a pit stop just outside Blackburn I'm a few yards off your route in Knowsley Road, turn left just after the Bull's Head on the A666 Clitheroe road. Stop just after the little river bridge and look for a grey pebbledashed house with arched windows in the gable end.

Haha we'll bear that in mind, knowing us we'll be having regular breaks :wahhey:

Top Bottom