Hello from Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Coxyuk

Regular
Thought I'd finally say hello and share my story so far. Fair warning, it's one of those 'fat bloke does a bit of exercise and loses weight stories'.

Having not cycled for many years I picked up a Marin Bear Valley SE off ebay. This is how it looked after servicing and a change of tyres to something a little better suited to commuting.

DSCF9646.jpg

I started to commute to work after the May bank holiday and changed my diet cutting out alcohol most of the time and reducing red meat and fat while massively increasing fruit and veg.

3 months on I'm almost 2 stone lighter, my BMI and fat ratio is within the normal range and, physically, I'm feeing a lot better. I've applied for the cycle to work scheme and when I finally get the certificate (why do they take so long??) hope to call one of these lovely bikes my own.
genesis-croix-de-fer-2011-cyclo-cross-bike.jpg

There's an unhappy conclusion to my story though. Last night I decided to pop in to M&S for a shirt (in my new smaller size), locked the bike outside and came back after 15 mins to find the bike gone. It was only a cheap bike but I'd grown fond of it and it was really well made. Pretty gutted today TBH but look forward to getting back in the saddle (quite literally) when the new bike comes. I've a really heavy duty chain for it :thumbsup:

Anyway, rather than end on a sad note I'll just say the forum has been a good source of info and look forward to getting to know the locals :biggrin:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Hello. Back luck having the bike stolen.

wave.gif

Could have been worse... you might have had it stolen from outside Lidl.

Seriously, though, sorry you had your bike nicked; it's a real downer (I had two stolen in the last 3 years)

potsy

Rambler
Welcome coxy, those Croix de fer's are lovely, been on my shortlist for a while.
Have a good look round the forum for advice on locks for the new bike, certainly don't want that one going walkies.
Whereabouts are you then? I'm a S.Mancs former Stockport guy :thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
What M&S was it taken from?

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It was taken from the main M&S in central Manchester on Cross street.

BTW is there some magic I need to be aware of so I can post from the iPad? It just crashes the browser most of the time and never lets me post.

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
Welcome coxy, those Croix de fer's are lovely, been on my shortlist for a while.
Have a good look round the forum for advice on locks for the new bike, certainly don't want that one going walkies.
Whereabouts are you then? I'm a S.Mancs former Stockport guy :thumbsup:

Cheers. I bought one of these weighs a tonne mind :sad:

I'm in north Manchester near Heaton Park.

Peter88

Veteran
Hi Coxyuk welcome to the forum,
Look out for a black Boardman mtb with slick tires on it I like to ride out to Heaton Park :thumbsup:
Well done on the weight loss it has taken me longer to lose what i have but i havn't cut the beer out.

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
Hi Coxyuk welcome to the forum,
Look out for a black Boardman mtb with slick tires on it I like to ride out to Heaton Park :thumbsup:
Well done on the weight loss it has taken me longer to lose what i have but i havn't cut the beer out.

Thanks Peter, I'll keep an eye out. I appear to have just bought this bike to tide me over until the Genesis arrives :blush:

bike.jpg

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
Like your new one Coxy! I'm in Didsbury, congrats on your weight loss! :smile:

Thank you. I've been cycling out to Didsbury via various cycle routes. The new bike is lovely, a couple of odd noises here and there and steering at speed on the drops is going to take some getting used to. Really pleased with it though.

photo.JPG

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Hi Coxy.
I had my bike stolen from M&S Cross Street last year. I got it back about 6 months later after it was advertised on Ebay and the police (after some pushing from me) went and got it back.
Hope you enjoy the CdeF; discs and drops are definitely the future !

Welcome - and ive seen a bike very similar to that an hour ago 16.30 being pushed by a biggish approx 55yr old, curly auburn/ginger hair at the back entrance to Stockport station heading toward Edgeley precinct (defo had 'marin' on frame and was black). Mite be worth a check about same time of day?
Anyway, welcome.

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
Hi Coxy.
I had my bike stolen from M&S Cross Street last year. I got it back about 6 months later after it was advertised on Ebay and the police (after some pushing from me) went and got it back.
Hope you enjoy the CdeF; discs and drops are definitely the future !

Thanks, very much enjoying the CdeF :smile:

OP
OP
C

Coxyuk

Regular
Welcome - and ive seen a bike very similar to that an hour ago 16.30 being pushed by a biggish approx 55yr old, curly auburn/ginger hair at the back entrance to Stockport station heading toward Edgeley precinct (defo had 'marin' on frame and was black). Mite be worth a check about same time of day?
Anyway, welcome.

Thanks Lien

Top Bottom