Hello from me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimC1

Just found the site - looks great.

I have an old Carlton Criterium that I have had from new since the early eighties and I have dragged it around the country every time I've moved house/job/lovelife ( ! ).
It's still going strong but I am going to give it a little tlc this year - it's a bike I just like riding.
I used to have a Carlton Courses des Primes when I was a teenager but it was nicked outside the papershop one evening when I'd just finished my round - I was gutted. Never saw it again - police didn't want to know -mind you, they couldn't get their pencils round 'courses des primes' .
So' when I get a minute I'll take some photos of my Criterium and post them.
Cheers

OP
OP
T

TimC1

Frame number

is wn9002278 , for those who know about such things.

Welcome Tim - I used to have a Carlton. At age 15 or so, I wrote it off by riding full pelt into the back of a Morris Traveller! I was on my way to a school athletics meeting at the time and was daydreaming about my hammer throwing technique...(probably).:smile:

Greetings Tim. I've had two Carltons a Giro and a Stadium. My Stadium wasn't very good but it saw me into cycling in a serious way and I too was gutted when it was nicked, in fact it's the one bike I still wish I had.

peanut

Hi Tim and welcome.
A Carlton was the first frame I used when getting back into cycling. I found it on a tip behind a cycle shop.:evil:
Still have it in the loft. Would never part with it.
I chopped it up brazed in new dropouts, shortened the wheelbase lowered the rear brake caliper to short reach, widened the dropout width to 130mm and braized on gear and bottle bosses . :cheers:

simon_brooke

TimC1 said:
Just found the site - looks great.

I have an old Carlton Criterium that I have had from new since the early eighties and I have dragged it around the country every time I've moved house/job/lovelife ( ! ).
It's still going strong but I am going to give it a little tlc this year - it's a bike I just like riding.
I used to have a Carlton Courses des Primes when I was a teenager but it was nicked outside the papershop one evening when I'd just finished my round - I was gutted. Never saw it again - police didn't want to know -mind you, they couldn't get their pencils round 'courses des primes' .
So' when I get a minute I'll take some photos of my Criterium and post them.
Cheers

I also had a Criterium, which was my pride and joy for years. Stolen, what can I say? I loved that bike.

OP
OP
T

TimC1

Hello all

That old Carlton thing - they just got to us with great bikes, didn't they ?

Anyway, got any recommendations for a safe pair of hands in West London area to help to put the mechanical glow back into my Criterium ?

Been looking on ebay at Carltons - some silly prices but also some look like bargains - just haven't found another one that's made me jump ( yet ).

Crackle - I'm from the Wirral - you haven't got my old Courses des Primes have you :smile:

TimC1 said:
Crackle - I'm from the Wirral - you haven't got my old Courses des Primes have you ;)

Nay lad. But there used to be a shop in Birkenhead that was always worth a visit to find your old bike :becool: Mine was nicked from Woolton.

Top Bottom