Hello from Merseyside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Hi, my names David.

Im 37 and started cycling in January. I've fancied it for some time but not got round to it.

I was diagnosed with graves disease 2 years ago, had an overactive thyroid, suffered weight loss, heart trouble etc. Had radio iodine treatment to kill off the thyroid cells and now i have an underactive thyroid. Put alot of weight on and now im pretty much in good condition as ive got all my meds right.

So there i was overweight, x rugby player 6'2" 17 1/2 stone, loves rambling and walking but wanted a new hobby, so my wife got me a carera subway 2 from halfords for xmas and away i go.

Ive just been doing 2 or 3 miles to begin with, im so unfit, if i push it too hard i go dizzy, i had an irregular heartbeat and i feel if i push too hard it jumps out of sync again then back in when it slows. maybe just in my head but im building up my strength. Now im doing some 9 milers up and down hill in around 45mins, i did a 4 1/2 mile ride this morning in 20mins and felt great after it, ive built up some strength so quick! Im so happy, i think the advice on here helped. I concentrate on time and revolutions not speed and distance. low gear high revs is the best advice i ever had, it makes such a difference. Im hoping just to build on what ive got and start to push up times and distances.

Im averaging around 10/11 mile and hour on not too great roads, i see that people are faster but i feel thats quite respectable for my previous health and weight on poor roads. When ive been on a flat surface i can easily maintain 14mph without much stress on me or the bike. If thats the case i can sustain that which i feel i can i should hit 28mile in 2 hours, maybe i should set that as a challenge? For now its more about enjoying it which i am, that can follow.

So hi to everyone, thats me in a nutshell, looking forward to sharing views and learning from you all, happy to answer any queries if you have em. Anyone else with an underactive thyroid ride? its pretty common

david

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Hi David - you're right - it's all about enjoyment, when it stops being fun the bike stops in the shed. Not sure which part of Merseyside you're in but I had a nice trip around the Wirral last week - mostly off-road, flat and a nice change from land-locked Shropshire!

Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
the other side of the water from wirral al fresco
i like shropshire, i worked at market drayton for a while loved it
your right about enjoying, i love it at the mo, long may it continue

biglad

How do David!

I'm from Liverpool myself mate. I've been riding along the riverside from the Echo Arena (Its a little bit bumpy before the Arena, and quite busy too) down to Otterspool. Also, its well worth hopping on the ferry and riding along the shore over the water. Thats a really nice ride when you stick to the coast.

Best of luck with it all man!

headcoat

Über Member
There are quite a few nice rides on the Wirral....you can pretty much do it all on cycle routes. Good luck and keep with it.

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
ho guys, nice to hear from you. i live outside of the pool! near st helens

ive rode to childwall and back a couple of times, bit up and down and quite hard for a newbie but im getting there

Top Bottom