Hello from near Ashbourne, Derbyshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simple Simon

Veteran
Hello,

I'm Simon (as my forum name may suggest), I live in a small village near Ashbourne and have recently re-discovered the joys of road cycling on my faithful Guess RB1. Also soon to be taking the plunge into the offroad world with a new Trek 4900.
There are some excellent roads and trails round here so looking forward to a vintage year of blasting round the peak district.
I'm toying with entering some triathlons (which will be a first for more than 20 years!) and considering joining the local cycle club.
I'm regularly found walking in the peaks or motorbiking when the weather is fine.
I have a ponchon for garish cycle tops and am Scottish, so will no doubt be easily recogniseable if you are a local cyclist.
Anyhoo, enough about me and over to you.

Cheers,
Si

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Simon and :welcome: to CChat.

OP
OP
Simple Simon

Simple Simon

Veteran
Cheers Pat.
I'm originally from your neck of the woods - Blantyre to be exact. I'll be up there this weekend visiting the family and expect my accent to be broader by Monday morning.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Cheers Pat.
I'm originally from your neck of the woods - Blantyre to be exact. I'll be up there this weekend visiting the family and expect my accent to be broader by Monday morning.
Och aye the noo, Jimmy :laugh: I'm not Scottish, but. I'm a foreign agent gone native :hello:

OP
OP
Simple Simon

Simple Simon

Veteran
Cheers guys.
If there are any locals who fancy meeting up on a Sunday for a 20-30 miler (gentle pace please, I'm just getting back into this) you're welcome to pm me as I think some social rides rather than joining the local club may be my best option.
The club meet on Saturday mornings and other commitments mean I'll struggle to consistantly join them.

Si

doctornige

Simon, I am local-ish and in same boat re fitness. I am over in Whaley Bridge. We could meet up on the moor south of Buxton and do some road riding. I am a bit busy until end Mar (weekend with wife, ski week and a conference in Eastern Europe), but if that suits, then happy to ride socially. I am 42 with knees f@@ked up by a youth spent mountaineering. I have found that road biking is not too brutal on them. I am doing 8 miles most lunchtimes (fair weather, no ice) and managing 20 miles at the weekends. Avg 15-16mph on Peak hills. Can manage short 1/5s without breaking. Not ridden with anyone else yet and also wary of club runs until I am confident I won't hold everyone up or develop chondromalacia patellae on the way.

AnneW

Über Member
Hi Simon - great place to live, lucky you.
We'll be doing the Tissington trail again at the end of March (family outing so no fun for others to join in). Not sure my fitness and speed (lack of) will make for a fun social anyway, lol. One day though!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays is from that neck of the woods ... from a small village that gets lots of traffic going through it normally in the summer though we've not ever cycled that much around there as adults, he did lots when he was a kid.

OP
OP
Simple Simon

Simple Simon

Veteran
Hi everyone, cheers for the warm welcome.

Have a great time on the Tissington Trail Anne. I walk it reagularly and will soon be riding it when my new Trek comes through.

This area is great Unclemort, but the flats of the Netherlands hold their own charms. The massive skies and wide open landscapes have as much character as the hills and dales of the Peak District.

doctornige - I'll take you up on the invite for sure. My inlaws live not to far from you (Curbar and Great Longstone) and I know the area well. I'm too am busy on and off over the next few weekends with a trip to Glasgow tomorrow, and off to Portugal for 10 days at the end on the month so April time it is. I'll pm you nearer the time.

Si

Top Bottom