Hello from nervous newbie - dipping my toe in

Hello

I have cycled into work for the first ever time today. I have been in 'training' for the last couple of weeks after purchasing a new hybrid bike 2 months ago.

It was a journey of approx 6 miles through hilly, busy (treacherous) country roads. I plan to cycle most of the time, hoping that by the time autumn comes I will be experienced enough not to worry about the weather or the dark mornings and evenings - fingers crossed

Any tips for a first time cycling commuter very welcome. I drove to work at the start of the week bring in supplies like spare clothes and a spare hairdryer (:angry: - priorities huh?)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
HiYa tia maria and welcome to Cyclechat.
Don;t be nervous. Just jump right in. For tips on commuting, visit the commuting forum. All you need to know and more you can find in there. Though don't be afraid to ask.

J-HO

Hi tia maria

Like me tia maria, I cycled in for the first time this week too.

Had a quick squint online and found this site. Have to say what I've read and the advice I've been given is great.

I think you've come to the right place :-)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi :ohmy:

Well done on completing your first commute :smile:.

You will probably find the traffic becomes less scary, but have you checked that there is not a quieter back road way to work that cuts some of the traffic out? Have a look using a site like bikehike and you may be able to find a more scenic route.

Other than that keep at it and well done :biggrin:

stevo

tia maria said:
Hello

I have cycled into work for the first ever time today. I have been in 'training' for the last couple of weeks after purchasing a new hybrid bike 2 months ago.

It was a journey of approx 6 miles through hilly, busy (treacherous) country roads. I plan to cycle most of the time, hoping that by the time autumn comes I will be experienced enough not to worry about the weather or the dark mornings and evenings - fingers crossed

Any tips for a first time cycling commuter very welcome. I drove to work at the start of the week bring in supplies like spare clothes and a spare hairdryer (:rolleyes: - priorities huh?)
Hi and welcome to cc tia-maria.
You will get all the help and advice you need on here.
:smile:

Well I've cycled to work 3 days in a row and barbsu from my legs almost giving up on me when walking up a steep hill when walking the dogs this afternoon, all is good. My route in is very direct any alternative route would take me 6 miles out of my way.

Top Bottom