Hello from nervous newbie - dipping my toe in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello

I have cycled into work for the first ever time today. I have been in 'training' for the last couple of weeks after purchasing a new hybrid bike 2 months ago.

It was a journey of approx 6 miles through hilly, busy (treacherous) country roads. I plan to cycle most of the time, hoping that by the time autumn comes I will be experienced enough not to worry about the weather or the dark mornings and evenings - fingers crossed

Any tips for a first time cycling commuter very welcome. I drove to work at the start of the week bring in supplies like spare clothes and a spare hairdryer (:angry: - priorities huh?)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
HiYa tia maria and welcome to Cyclechat.
Don;t be nervous. Just jump right in. For tips on commuting, visit the commuting forum. All you need to know and more you can find in there. Though don't be afraid to ask.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Congratulations on a first ride in, tia maria. Sounds like you're doing great so far. Keep going, and all will become second nature.

J-HO

Hi tia maria

Like me tia maria, I cycled in for the first time this week too.

Had a quick squint online and found this site. Have to say what I've read and the advice I've been given is great.

I think you've come to the right place :-)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi :ohmy:

Well done on completing your first commute :smile:.

You will probably find the traffic becomes less scary, but have you checked that there is not a quieter back road way to work that cuts some of the traffic out? Have a look using a site like bikehike and you may be able to find a more scenic route.

Other than that keep at it and well done :biggrin:

stevo

tia maria said:
Hello

I have cycled into work for the first ever time today. I have been in 'training' for the last couple of weeks after purchasing a new hybrid bike 2 months ago.

It was a journey of approx 6 miles through hilly, busy (treacherous) country roads. I plan to cycle most of the time, hoping that by the time autumn comes I will be experienced enough not to worry about the weather or the dark mornings and evenings - fingers crossed

Any tips for a first time cycling commuter very welcome. I drove to work at the start of the week bring in supplies like spare clothes and a spare hairdryer (:rolleyes: - priorities huh?)

Hi and welcome to cc tia-maria.
You will get all the help and advice you need on here.
:smile:

OP
OP
T

tia maria

Well I've cycled to work 3 days in a row and barbsu from my legs almost giving up on me when walking up a steep hill when walking the dogs this afternoon, all is good. My route in is very direct any alternative route would take me 6 miles out of my way.

Top Bottom