Hello from North Derbyshire

• Thread starter Deleted member 89407
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 89407

Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

I am not a stranger to cycling, been doing this since removing those stabilisers forty years ago but through laziness, other interests and commitments, cycling has taken a back-burner on more than one occasion during that time. Currently, that interest has been reborn and I have taken the move from riding my old Specialized Rockhopper mtb to another Specialized in the form of a road/gravel bike.

I’m not into racing, improving my PB’s or looking good on fitness tracking software. For me I ride because it’s enjoyable. It can be hard work and some days are just better than others but for the most part I ride for the pleasure of being out on the bike.

I am new to the road cycling scene so I am sure I will have a few questions along the way and look forward to learning new things as I gain experience. I will no doubt be scorned at some point for not wanting to ride with spd’s or wear lycra - it’s just not my thing - but I am keen to ride more often and for longer periods over the coming months, building up my fitness levels to something akin to a few years ago.

Chris

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Welcome

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

Welcome :okay:

Cycling should always only be for fun!

Trying to work out where north Derbyshire is?
@I like Skol Thanks for the welcome.

For me, the enjoyment is the main thing, swiftly followed by fitness. I am in my mid forties and find it increasingly harder to stay in shape. Cycling has always been a benefit since I have slightly dodgy knees, so stopped running about four years ago.

North Derbyshire is right above South Derbyshire :rolleyes: In fact it's the High Peak of Derbyshire, north of Buxton and east of Manchester, pretty much in the centre of the country but very close to some stunning countryside and hilly climbs.

And I have just noticed you're in Ashton, so you'll be very familiar with the crappy roads near Glossop.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Mid 40s here and getting increasingly fitter at the moment.

I have to disagree with the crappy roads comment, absolutely spoilt for excellent rides where you/we are, all right on our doorstep :okay:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 89407

I have to disagree with the crappy roads comment, absolutely spoilt for excellent rides where you/we are, all right on our doorstep :okay:
@I like Skol I'm talking about the hideousness of Mottram Moor and the Woodhead Road. I hate all the HGVs that go whizzing past. I much prefer quieter roads. I am so used to cycling off road that it can be somewhat daunting on major roads that have a continuous stream of traffic most of the day.

Of course, being on the fringe of the National Park there are stunning roads of which the majority I have only been on in the other half's car, hence my eagerness to try them out.

Do you have any favourite routes in the Glossop area? Something you would recommend bearing in mind I don't do long rides...yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

I am not a stranger to cycling, been doing this since removing those stabilisers forty years ago but through laziness, other interests and commitments, cycling has taken a back-burner on more than one occasion during that time. Currently, that interest has been reborn and I have taken the move from riding my old Specialized Rockhopper mtb to another Specialized in the form of a road/gravel bike.

I’m not into racing, improving my PB’s or looking good on fitness tracking software. For me I ride because it’s enjoyable. It can be hard work and some days are just better than others but for the most part I ride for the pleasure of being out on the bike.

I am new to the road cycling scene so I am sure I will have a few questions along the way and look forward to learning new things as I gain experience. I will no doubt be scorned at some point for not wanting to ride with spd’s or wear lycra - it’s just not my thing - but I am keen to ride more often and for longer periods over the coming months, building up my fitness levels to something akin to a few years ago.

Chris
Just as it should be, fun!
:welcome:

Top Bottom