Hello from North Devon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SafetyThird

Hi all, I'm Jay, 50-something ex-runner and triathlete who was fit at 40 and let it slide. Recently pulled the bikes back out, dusted them off and now trying to regain a bit of that lost fitness. After years of living in flat places, north Devon was a bit of a shock with its hills. I'll be going slowly for a while. As a lifelong hiker and lover of the wilderness I have ideas for some bike camping tours once I'm able to take on some bigger distances and also recently bought Velo en France and furtively contemplating cycling across France next year.

I've an old trek 6000 mtb which has become my tourer/shopping bike with slick tyres, racks and panniers, though I may change the frame out for something like an old 80's stump jumper to make it a better tourer as it's a bit small for that and I've recently taken the aero front end off my Titanflex triathlon bike, fitted drops and regular brake/shifters to make it a better road bike with a view to getting out on some longer distances again.

:welcome: from West Devon! Just as hilly...
:biggrin:

Solocle

Über Member
Hello from North Dorset! I've yet to make it over to Devon from home, although I bumped Crewkerne a couple of weeks ago. It sure gets hilly heading in that direction...
1591802304850.png

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

Welcome :welcome:
Where you to buddy?
I'm in Yarnscombe, near Torrington, are you close by?

Did my longest ride in a decade the other day, up to Huntshaw cross, over Gammaton moor and down into bideford, then Tarka trail to Torrington and then home, 17 miles in all, these hills are going to kill me :smile:. Slow and steady increase needed so trying to get out a couple of times a week. Currently getting the road bike set up which should hopefully make going longer a bit easier than on the mountain bike.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm in Yarnscombe, near Torrington, are you close by?

Did my longest ride in a decade the other day, up to Huntshaw cross, over Gammaton moor and down into bideford, then Tarka trail to Torrington and then home, 17 miles in all, these hills are going to kill me :smile:. Slow and steady increase needed so trying to get out a couple of times a week. Currently getting the road bike set up which should hopefully make going longer a bit easier than on the mountain bike.
I'm in Braunton.
You either do hills or hang up your bike around here. :laugh:

OP
OP
S

SafetyThird

certainly seems to be the way, won't be hanging up the bike so I'll have to just get used to the hills. Looks like I have a working setup on the road bike now so better get out and ride :smile:

ChrisEyles

Guru
East Devon here. Can we get the full set?

Hello from mid Devon (Tiverton) 🙂

North Devon is indeed good and hilly! I don't mind the climbs (provided I'm running a triple up front) but some of the downs are a bit hairy.

Smashing bridleways up on Exmoor if you ever fancy a bit of off roading too.

Top Bottom