Hello from Nottingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Hi folks, i have been browsing this forum for a few nights and thought i might say hello.
I have not done any serious biking for over twenty years :eek:
In my late teens i was commuting roughly fifteen miles a day from Tottenham North London into either the Sloane Square/Oxford Street area or the other side of London off Jamaica Road.
My bike at that time was a Muddyfox Courier, if i remember rightly it had a shimano 18 gear chainset with eliptical crank. Livery was purple/mauve. Anyone ever had one of these? It was a good bike for me, never let me down and i let it go for a song (cost if i remember rightly at late 80's prices was £325!) when i moved to Nottingham.
Now i am looking to commute again due to parking levies/costs and work circumstances which will dictate I either use public transport or my legs.......i really need to get fit, so need a bike again! May well post a couple of questions shortly in the other sections as the choice of bikes out there is bewildering and the technology seems to have moved on somewhat! I know it will be a struggle climbing on the saddle after such a long time, but no pain no gain as they say!

Paul

jpcee

:welcome:

JohnTCC

Hi Paul,
welcome, I too lived in Nottingham for a while, if you are north of the town Mapperley CC was a good club if you are looking
for some group/club riding. i was a member in the late 80's.

Commuting is a good way to get back into riding, in fact a lot of my base miles are from my commute.

good luck

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Hi Paul,
welcome, I too lived in Nottingham for a while, if you are north of the town Mapperley CC was a good club if you are looking
for some group/club riding. i was a member in the late 80's.

Commuting is a good way to get back into riding, in fact a lot of my base miles are from my commute.

good luck
Thanks for the welcome folks.

John, i am nearer Derby than Mapperley,although i have a local club which i may check out some time in the future.
regards
Paul

OP
OP
paulw1969

paulw1969

Ridley rider
Hi Paul, I'm in Beeston and regular commuter to Derby if you go that way. I also lived in Tottenham and rode across London in the 80s!

Its a small world innit!

I moved to Beeston Rylands from Tottenham twenty odd years ago , i'm now in Long Eaton and travel the other way into Nottingham. Tottenham has chnaged a little bit since......

Chipper

I saw Tottenham on 'the riots'. To be fair given that I lived on Lordship Lane and backed onto Broadwater Farm nothing much changed there except maybe the cause/reason for the riots.

I ride through Stapleford/Sandiacre/Spondon unless it's icy in which case I go your way.

Top Bottom