Hello from south London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Thanks for the reply. Never heard of Spesh so will check them out. Maybe they'll be at Earls Court?

Spesh = Specialized :smile:

OP
OP
cameramanjim

cameramanjim

Getting faster, very slowly
Hi Jim &
wave.gif

I expect most of your Sunday Best bikes will be around the same performance level - but some have different geometries so it may be worth having a test ride or two.

You should be warned - there lurks an even greater danger to sanity and wallet - they are called wheels.
icon_lol.gif

Thanks, a test ride it is. Mind you, I asked to test a Boardmen in Halfords and they said they don't do the, :sad:

OP
OP
cameramanjim

cameramanjim

you've got considerable problems.

1. You're very old.
2. You come from South London.
3. You've started hanging out in bike shops and discussing potential buys with people you don't know

There's only one thing for it. Get you buns down to Hyde Park Corner on Sunday at 9.30. I know the people that go on these Sunday rides, and, while they're all clearly in need of psychiatric help and at least one social skill, keeping company with them will at least make it easier for the authorities to round you all up.

Don't come from south London, just live here. And grand it is too!
Tempted by the Hyde Park ride. Is it a regular thing? And do they laugh at newbie losers with ill fitting cycle gear and no cleats?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Tempted by the Hyde Park ride. Is it a regular thing? And do they laugh at newbie losers with ill fitting cycle gear and no cleats?
not at all. Meet at Hyde Park Corner at 9.30 on a Sunday but check in the 'Informal Rides...' section of this forum.

And, in all seriousness, I think while starting (or re-starting) to cycle in middle age is a wonderful thing, unless you're a person of rock-like determination, having some mates is really important.

We're a friendly bunch, a bit haphazard, but we don't bite. It's a bit second-teenage-ish. For a slightly more organised ride, although no less welcoming, there are other groups in South London that are worth getting to know. The South West London CTC has Saturday rides for 'Beginners' , all day Sunday rides under the Cheam and Morden badge and a variety of rides on Wednesdays - although you're a bit young for those - www.cyclingswlondon.org.uk . Pollards Hill Cyclists http://www.pollardshillcyclists.org.uk/ are really friendly and know all the best routes in southwest London.

No worries about the cleats - I didn't have any for the first few rides, and then fell off into a pile of horse poo on my first clipless CC outing!

martint235

Dog on a bike

Thanks you! Hey, I used to live of England's Lane and the Washington was my local. Happy days!
PS I would have added a happy smiley waving thing if I knew how to!

Nah they don't laugh at ill fitting cycling gear or no cleats but may what ever supreme being there is help you if you should even think of turning up with the merest speck of dirt on your chain!!!

The Washington was my local too about 18 years ago. Went up last year, it's changed. The Steele's didn't seem to have though.

Oh and welcome :welcome:

OP
OP
cameramanjim

cameramanjim

not at all. Meet at Hyde Park Corner at 9.30 on a Sunday but check in the 'Informal Rides...' section of this forum.

And, in all seriousness, I think while starting (or re-starting) to cycle in middle age is a wonderful thing, unless you're a person of rock-like determination, having some mates is really important.

We're a friendly bunch, a bit haphazard, but we don't bite. It's a bit second-teenage-ish. For a slightly more organised ride, although no less welcoming, there are other groups in South London that are worth getting to know. The South West London CTC has Saturday rides for 'Beginners' , all day Sunday rides under the Cheam and Morden badge and a variety of rides on Wednesdays - although you're a bit young for those - www.cyclingswlondon.org.uk . Pollards Hill Cyclists http://www.pollardsh...yclists.org.uk/ are really friendly and know all the best routes in southwest London.

Many thanks for the info, I shall save it for future use for sure. I do have a few cycling mates who've promised to treat me gently!
Thanks again!

Top Bottom