Hello from Stamford, Lincolnshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

My name is George, and I've just bought a used Giant Defy 2.5 - my first road bike.

photo-15_zpsb07168dc.jpg

I plan to use it mainly to commute the 14 miles to work but will no doubt do more recreationally etc. as I have a few friends who are really into their cycling.

I already keep fit and run about 20 miles per week, so I'm hoping the cycling will compliment that. I guess I just need to learn to swim properly then I'll probably get into triathlons. :smile:

I rode 40 miles recently on a friend's tourer (Claud Butler Dalesman) and averaged 17mph which my mate said was pretty good for a newbie! I have no idea to be honest, but my bum was very sore for days afterwards! lol

Anyway, I'm still to get some kit (shoes, cleats, helmet, padded shorts etc.) and I'm having fun confusing myself with the overwhelming availability of stuff that's out there.

My hope was that by joining this excellent forum, that some of you wiser and more experienced folk would offer me some advice.

Cheers,
George

ThinAir

Do more.
Dude. Welcome. Nice ride. Enjoy. I've been told the soreness subsides....

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi George and welcome. 17mph is far more than Okay its an extremely good speed, way above average for seasoned riders and right up there in the "club ride" speeds.

Clearly your fitness is getting you off to a flying start.

J

PS, nice bike, very nice....is it me though, or are the bars tilted upwards oddly?

OP
OP
AquaFresh

AquaFresh

Thanks for the warm welcome, all!

What a lovely community you have here. :smile:

:welcome:AquaFresh.

Not sure if your saddle is intentional or just how you got it, but it's not common to see a rakish angle like yours is at.

If it works for you then happy days, but you might like to have a look at THIS site about bike fit, you never know, you might pick some tips up.

Rule of thumb IME with saddles is start level and centered, then tweak from there :thumbsup:

Top Bottom