Hello from sunny Feltham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

knifejuggler

Hi all

I've been a lazy b*gger for most of my life but recently decided I need to get a bit fitter (due to taking up scuba diving) but hate the idea of going to a gym and running seems like a torture that I don't want to experience, so I decided to get a bike. I borrowed one for a couple of months and decided I liked it so splashed out on a Specialized Sirrus Elite (which I love) but am now finding it a little difficult to motivate myself to go cycling on my own so have started looking around for gentle events and cycling buddies.

The plan is also to cycle to work every day (15 mile round trip - Feltham to Egham) but have only managed it twice in the last two weeks (must try harder)

I had clipless pedals installed on the bike from new and managed to topple over on my first two rides but seem to be getting better with them now :smile:

Anyway, enough of my rambling....

Neil

Furkz

Über Member
welcome and get rid of the clipless (for now) and enjoy it

screenman

Legendary Member
Keep the clipless as you are getting on with them ( I also never pack in something easily). Self motivation, not always an easy thing but one with practise you can master to a greater or lesser standard. Make sure everything you need is laid out the night before was always the answer for me.

As for hill, would that be Egham hill up to the college bit tough but good fun, and on the way back it should give you enough roll to take you most of the way back to Feltham.

I moved north from your area 23 years ago, I used to own Bedfont Car Sales, next to Budgen in Bedfont and I also owned Hanworth Car Sales in the eighties. I was a member of a great and big club called Twickenham Cycling Club in the seventies and along with many other in your area is still going strong.

Have fun and keep pedalling

OP
OP
knifejuggler

knifejuggler

Thanks, I'm finding them easier every time, just have to make sure I don't get complacent and forget I have them on. As for the motivation thing, yeah I find prepping the night before does make it a little easier in the morning (and gives me one less reason to abandon the idea & jump in the car!)

I work at the college, so yes, Egham Hill is 'fun' in the morning ;)

I'll check out Twickenham Cycling Club, thanks for that.

Quite a few people in Staines, Hounslow, Windsor Datchet and places like that on here, knifejuggler. I used to live in Feltham and commute about the same distance London bound. Plenty of easy training rides up Priest Hill, Crimp Hill etc and round the WGP. There will be a 240 mile ride coming past from town next week... on the way to Stonehenge and Wooton Bassett. My house was off Bedfont Lane - mind the 'boy racer' traffic eh? :smile:

Have fun!

Norm

Quite a few people in Staines, Hounslow, Windsor Datchet and places like that on here, knifejuggler.
Are there? We should organise a ride. :biggrin:

Do you actually juggle knives? I have in the past, but I'm a bit out of practice and I stick to clubs and balls (there's a cue) now.

colly

Re member eR
If you intend to get up early and go for a spin first thing it really helps if just before you go to sleep you think about the planned ride ( commute maybe) and concentrate on all the positives.

Forget the drag out of a nice warm bed, forget the temporary blearyness etc......

Think of how you will feel after a good fresh ride, think of what it will do for your fitness long term, think really of why you enjoy cycling and how good it can make you feel.

Have an idea of what time you want to get up, set the alarm, then sure as eggs are eggs you will wake up just before the alarm and will be raring to go.

Works for me 7 out of 10 times.:biggrin:

OP
OP
knifejuggler

knifejuggler

Thanks for the advice & encouragement guys, I'm sure it will get easier the more I do it. I also realised tonight that I need to ensure I eat something before I leave in the morning (never really liked breakfast). This morning was a real struggle, this evening, I had a banana & plenty of water before leaving work and knocked 10 mins off my time. Admittedly, some of that was the benefit of the hill but I felt a lot better and got some of my fastest speeds on the flat bits :smile:

Oh and yes, I do juggle knives on the odd occasion (plus torches if I'm feeling brave)

Norm

C'mon Norm organise us a ride for the 7th Aug.
You want another slow one, then? :biggrin:

Oh and yes, I do juggle knives on the odd occasion (plus torches if I'm feeling brave)
I've done torches too - although I wasn't brave enough to light them. :blush: :laugh:

I can't for the life of me think what it is though Norm. You've got me snookered!
I've got your coat here, Hottie, don't let the door catch you on the way out. :thumbsup: ;)

VamP

Banned
Welcome from another (fairly) local member from Weybridge. As above persevere, the rewards are great, and before too long, you will find it less of a struggle, and soon you'll be addicted like the rest of us.

suecsi

Welcome from another local - Bedfont (says Kingston on my Avatar, but thats where I work, and was born). If you are ever in Bedfont Lane/Harlington Road West/anywhere near Feltham station during rush hour - and see a crazy looking lady in a pinky red coat on a red Brompton ...... do wave!

Top Bottom