Hello from sunny Morecambe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bariton

Hello from a 58 year old guy returning to pedal power after a 25 year hiatus. The most exercise I get is walking from the car to my office desk and back every day, so decided to dig the bike I bought 3 years ago out of the garage and get riding.

But what makes me think I'm going to stick to it this time around? Well, some of the guys I work with are in the same position, wishing we were fitter and slimmer than we are. In a bit of light-hearted banter one of the guys suggested we ride the 81 mile Bay Cycle Way next April, and no one wishing to back down from a challenge agreed we would train for the event.

My bike is a Voodoo Hoodoo mountain bike. I've replaced the rusty chain and fit slimmer road tyres; not ideal but at least I've made a start. May look into getting a more suitable machine once my legs don't turn to jelly after going around the block!

Martyn

steve50

Disenchanted Member
:welcome: martin, great idea to set yourselves a goal, gives you a good incentive to get out there riding your bike. Enjoy the forum.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Welcome!
I used to live in Carnforth, so can suggest some nice routes if you end up short of ideas!
(You'll know you're getting there when you can do the hill from the pier at Arnside to the Tower without stopping)

OP
OP
Bariton

Bariton

Welcome!
I used to live in Carnforth, so can suggest some nice routes if you end up short of ideas!
(You'll know you're getting there when you can do the hill from the pier at Arnside to the Tower without stopping)

That hill at Arnside is a piece of cake, I went down it only yesterday! :rofl:

I didn't realise how many great cycle routes there were in the area until just recently, I plan on doing a few before the bad weather sets in.

Hello to you in 'Bradford by the Sea', as it used to be known

Surprisingly for a Yorkshire lad, I adore the place, as I used to get taken there a lot as a kid
I watched the restoration of the Midland with great interest & the Winter Gardens

I've (well, we've) not been for about 4 years
Back in 2009, I ran the 'Cross Bay Challenge' - the half-marathon, from Flookburgh, to Hest Bank

Last edited:
:welcome: My old fella used to live in one of the big houses as a kid overlooking the prom down at the bottom end near the Battery pub.

Part of me wishes my Grandparents had stayed up there instead of moving back to Bolton, but I guess living sowhere is very different to visiting it with a head full of nostalgic memories as we do ;)

Good luck with the peddling :cheers:

Hello to you in 'Bradford by the Sea', as it used to be known

Surprisingly for a Yorkshire lad, I adore the place, as I used to get taken there a lot as a kid
I watched the restoration of the Midland with great interest & the Winter Gardens

Back in 2009, I ran the 'Cross Bay Challenge' - the half-marathon, from Flookburgh, to Hest Bank
There's a few Midland Hotel (pre-refurbishment) pics in this album - public access (shouldn't even need to be FB member to see them?)
https://www.facebook.com/richard.a.thackeray/media_set?set=a.3811628141503.2151724.1601508436&type=3

http://www.cancercare.org.uk/events/cross-bay-challenge

Last edited:

1.42:52. as my first ever 1/2
The rivers still enter the Bay, whether the tide's in, or out, so there was a fair amount of crotch-deep wading:laugh:

2009. Cross-Bay Challenge. 3.jpg 2009. Cross-Bay Challenge. 7.jpg Race Routes. Cross-Bay Challenge.jpg Lancashire. 28.7.04. Morecambe. Winter Gardens.JPG Lancashire. Morecambe. Books.JPG

Attachments

• 2009. Morecambe Bay road. 2.JPG
    2009. Morecambe Bay road. 2.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 24

Nibor

Bewildered
Hello some great cycle paths around those parts did a nice ride to Morecambe from Glasson Dock recently nice loop taking in the Lancaster canal and the Aquaduct

Top Bottom