Hello From Surrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi you all. I joined the forum today (Friday). Am I going to get back into cycling - or is it just a flirtation?

Where can I find some advice on getting fit?

Cycled toay about 8 miles alomg the Thames towpath. Would a road bike handle that sort of terrain, or would it be best to buy a tourer (if I am going to buy another bike, of course.

At the moment I am using a fairly old MTB.

I am glad I discovered this forum, you seem a good bunch.

DavieB

MIA
I wouldnt mind some advice on getting fit either lol. Its going to take time for me though lol

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Suggest you and Davie head out for a ride together. If you meet up midway, I suspect you'll both already be a fair whack fitter ;)

Joking aside, there's a reguar Sunday London Ride that a few of us do. Its a conversational paced affair, with a lot of knowledge on tap.

Not from me though. I only ride strange looking bikes and am almost always lost :biggrin:

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
As far as bikes go it depends on what your looking at doing and what you like. A audax type bike might suit you (Its a cross between a tourer and a road bike) if your planning on doing mostly roads / towpaths. if your planning on touring then a tourer will be better for you.

Just depends what you need it for. Road bikes on anything but a road i would personally advise against, even some roads they have difficulty on

lukesdad

Blimey Ryan have the roads round there got that bad, usedto spend a lot of time round Surbiton when I was a kid my Gran used to live in Maple Road.

OP
OP
D

DuncanBeaumont

Thanks for those thoughts. Is there a website that anyone can recommend for getting fit info?

I went out Friday and did about ten miles, Saturday I did just over eleven miles - all on the towpath. Today I don't really feel like going out on the bike. Is that the way training should be? Two or three days training and then a rest day?

Is there another section on this forum which is more appropriate for this sort of question?

It's a hot day for cycling!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
DuncanBeaumont said:
I went out Friday and did about ten miles, Saturday I did just over eleven miles - all on the towpath. Today I don't really feel like going out on the bike. Is that the way training should be? Two or three days training and then a rest day?

Is there another section on this forum which is more appropriate for this sort of question?

There's a subforum within 'Technical' for 'health, fitness and training' that might be able to offer further (or more appropriate) advice. In my experience, if your muscles are aching then yes, you need a day off to recover and rebuild. I try to avoid daisy-chaining strenuous days wherever possible, as I don't feel I get any benefit without a recovery day. Moderate exercise is fine, though. I guess it all depends on your level of exertion and breathlessness. If you've got wobbly knees afterwards, or can't conduct a conversation whilst doing it, take the next day easy. For cycle commuting, this means one day of ill advised racing, and one day of trying to avoid ill advised racing :becool:

Top Bottom