Hello from Telford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sfb

Hi everyone!

I've recently bought a bicycle under the Cycle to Work scheme - I set up our company's scheme and am the only person to have used it. The bicycle is a Ridgeback Meteor and, so far, I'm very pleased with it.

Today was only the second time I've ridden into work. It's about 7-8 miles each way and a mixture of uphill and downhill both ways and I can manage to avoid using roads for most of the journey. I'm not fit at all, which is one reason I wanted to start cycling. I'm also getting increasingly scared by the amount it costs to buy a tankful of fuel for the car! I'd rather save my petrol pennies for actually enjoying my motorcycles.

I'm still getting my head round the number of gears - my other bicycle is a 1940s BSA with only 4 Sturmey Archer gears. I have to confess to having had to get off and walk on a couple of the steeper hills but if I stick at it I hope that will quickly improve. I used to cycle a lot when I was a teenager but that was a long time ago, I'm in my forties now!

I thought that joining a cycling forum might give me even more incentive to keep at it - even though I enjoy the ride, it often seems easier to get in the car, especially when I'm under pressure to get into work early. Today I told myself to stop letting work get in the way of what I want to do and set the alarm for 5.45am to allow plenty of time and I'm planning to do the same tomorrow.

Hazel

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Hiya Hazel! :welcome:

Stick with it: the more you do, the easier it gets. Especially the hills!

OP
OP
sfb

sfb

That sounds fun.

Favourite ride used to be around the back lanes to Wellington Monument but I always had to push the bicycle up the steepest bit of hill. Mind you, it was so steep that when I took my moped up there, that had to be pushed too!

OP
OP
sfb

sfb

Take pies with you and have a picnic at the top of the hill. Makes much more sense - then you can freewheel back down the hill while the pies settle in your stomach
biggrin.gif

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Hi Hazel and welcome. Some amazing riding around Telford and Ironbridge, we lived there until a few years ago and i really miss the place.
The Silkin Way is a great traffic free route to get some miles in.
Keep at it and you'll be whizzing up those hills in no time.

paul

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Hope the roads are in better nick than when I lived in Telford - they'd just put cable in so most roads were bad but the one from St Georges down to Donnington was like a lunar landscape!

WychwoodTrev

Hi hazel welvome and enjoy. I live in oxforfshire but am up your way next wednesday staying at a freinds and walking up the wrekin sp ? Then on the thursday its up to snowdon now that a big to climb we are only walking it btw.then on to anglesey for a weekends motorbike racing

OP
OP
sfb

sfb

Thanks all of you.

Most of my ride into work is on the Silkin Way. I have to ride from Sutton Hill to near Asda in Donnington- some of the surfaces are rather bumpy and I noticed the bruised backside when I got back on the bicycle this morning! Took a slight detour today and saw the dinosaurs in Wonderland, as well as all the usual wildlife you get to see along the Silkin Way.

This morning I managed to cycle up one of the hills I had to give up on yesterday so that was pleasing
biggrin.gif

Trev, I'm guessing it is classic racing at Anglesey? I keep meaning to go - a friend races an AJS - but I'll either be rebuilding a BSA clutch or stripping a Honda engine for the next couple of weekends.

Cheers for the welcome !

WychwoodTrev

Trev, I'm guessing it is classic racing at Anglesey? I keep meaning to go - a friend races an AJS - but I'll either be rebuilding a BSA clutch or stripping a Honda engine for the next couple of weekends.

Cheers for the welcome !
[/quote]

Hi Hazel

modern bikes in the Hottrax Endurance championship,

One of my freinds Emma lives near you then, St mathews rd Donnington, Her Mum used to work in ASDA

Top Bottom