Hello from the Fens

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fenfirsttimer

Hi there

I am a bit of a first timer not having cycled for over 25 years. Decided I need to increase my stamina for when I meet hills which isn't often around here. A friend has given me her old bike with a very comfortable gel saddle to get me started.

At first it was a mile or so around the village on sunny evenings and up to the post office or local shop rather than get into the car. Found I am enjoying it as you see so much you don't notice in the car.

Now I am branching out a bit. I did an 8 mile ride the other evening from my home down country lanes and have also thrown the bike in the boot and explored Ely. I did start off down the cycle path to Cambridge but met some really large cows on the path ahead and wasn't brave enough to go through them on my own.... Maybe next time they won't be actually be standing across it and I will get further. So I explored the town instead.

Lessons I am learning :smile: ...
1) always take a map
2) A small mirror (to fish the fly out of your eye) -no goggles yet, that seems too professional!
3) Don't forget the water for when you get lost and are out for far longer than planned. (see note 1)

If I do find the bug really gets me and I want a new bike I will be here reading all the advice .. already you have answered so many questions I didn't realise were lurking in my mind.

I think Thetford might be my next trip out... trying to avoid too much traffic.

off to explore other forums now.
Susie

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Hello :welcome: As you go further take a mobile phone, spare inner tube and some tyre levers just to be on the safe side :thumbsup:

Hi there

I am a bit of a first timer not having cycled for over 25 years. Decided I need to increase my stamina for when I meet hills which isn't often around here. A friend has given me her old bike with a very comfortable gel saddle to get me started.

At first it was a mile or so around the village on sunny evenings and up to the post office or local shop rather than get into the car. Found I am enjoying it as you see so much you don't notice in the car.

Now I am branching out a bit. I did an 8 mile ride the other evening from my home down country lanes and have also thrown the bike in the boot and explored Ely. I did start off down the cycle path to Cambridge but met some really large cows on the path ahead and wasn't brave enough to go through them on my own.... Maybe next time they won't be actually be standing across it and I will get further. So I explored the town instead.

1) always take a map
2) A small mirror (to fish the fly out of your eye) -no goggles yet, that seems too professional!
3) Don't forget the water for when you get lost and are out for far longer than planned. (see note 1)

If I do find the bug really gets me and I want a new bike I will be here reading all the advice .. already you have answered so many questions I didn't realise were lurking in my mind.

I think Thetford might be my next trip out... trying to avoid too much traffic.

off to explore other forums now.
Susie

Hi and welcome to cyclechat. As the post above says, a spare tube and things to repair a p@@cture are essential... but make sure you KNOW how to fix one before you set off :thumbsup:.

OP
OP
fenfirsttimer

fenfirsttimer

Already take the mobile phone everywhere so that is with me. Tube / repair kit good thought but an even better one marshmella is knowing how to fix it! Which of course I don't. Will have to find out how.......

Danny

Legendary Member
1) always take a map
Welcome.

There's nothing more off irritating than getting a fly in the eye - apart perhaps from getting lost and running out of water!

You don't need to spend a fortune on sports goggles, a simple pair of sunglasses should protect your eyes. A wrap around style works best.

lavoisier

Winter is Coming!
Welcome.

I practised changing a tube at home before I ventured out as I knew I'd really panic if I got a flat miles from home.

Glad to hear you're enjoying cycling. 8 miles is great. I'm up to 6.

Keep it up.

Paul :thumbsup:

E11a

Hello. I take 2 spare tubes with me after I had front and rear punctures in the ice and snow last winter. A local Aldi might have some sports glasses left (with changeable lenses) for a few quid. They're OK and cheap enough that it doesn't matter too much if they get scratched or damaged.

Hi Susie
8 miles and almost into Cambridge from the fens, I reckon you must live reasonably close to my parents (they live in Bottisham). I go back often so shout up if you need/want a riding buddy! I cycle a lot round there so any route questions just ask - also those cows move pretty quickly if you shout and wave your arms a bit!
biggrin.gif

Becca

kedab

Veteran
i'm round those parts too but don't ask me for routes just yet, i've enlisted the help of CC to help me out - check for posts re' the a14 :biggrin:

OP
OP
fenfirsttimer

fenfirsttimer

Ella -[quote I had front and rear punctures in the ice and snow last winter] [/quote] I am to cycle in the winter :eek: !?

Re: fly in the eye - sunglasses are good - interchangeable lenses for those dull days - even better - will look out next time in town.

Becca - the 8 miles was from home near Downham Market /March/Wisbech. The cows were on the path to Cambridge but I had cheated by driving to Ely and taking bike in boot! Give me a shout when you are next over your parents way as it would be good to meet up. I went to visit Wicken Fen last week (no bike) and thought I may take the bike over some time and try the cycle path to Anglesey Abbey / Lode. Will try waving / bell ringing at cows next time but they were BIG. (Wimp... me?)

Ella - I am to cycle in the winter :eek: !?

Re: fly in the eye - sunglasses are good - interchangeable lenses for those dull days - even better - will look out next time in town.

Becca - the 8 miles was from home near Downham Market /March/Wisbech. The cows were on the path to Cambridge but I had cheated by driving to Ely and taking bike in boot! Give me a shout when you are next over your parents way as it would be good to meet up. I went to visit Wicken Fen last week (no bike) and thought I may take the bike over some time and try the cycle path to Anglesey Abbey / Lode. Will try waving / bell ringing at cows next time but they were BIG. (Wimp... me?)

That path is nice and flat and cow free! I'll be back the weekend of the 30th/31st I'm trying to increase my miles so I don't mind meeting you somewhere (I'm happy to do up to about 50 if it's not too windy or fast!)

OP
OP
fenfirsttimer

fenfirsttimer

That path is nice and flat and cow free! I'll be back the weekend of the 30th/31st I'm trying to increase my miles so I don't mind meeting you somewhere (I'm happy to do up to about 50 if it's not too windy or fast!)

Becca Unfortunately I can't make it that weekend as I am off to France for a week. There are cycles at the gite - but hills in the region too.... not sure how far I will be able to cycle uphill but will give it a go. May come back with better muscles than I go with!

May be we will have better luck next time you are up. Give me a shout again won't you?

Top Bottom