Hello from the Highlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi
I'm Saluki and I live in the Highlands with my husband and we like to go cycling.

The OH is trying to get fit and I am trying to get fitter. We were giving bikes by the gym we used to be members of a couple of years ago, when we renewed our memberships for a year. The bikes are nothing special. They are Apollo hybrids and the gym got them from Halfords! They are really heavy and weigh about 39lbs :ohmy:

We try to get out for at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. Some days we go off for a couple of hours or so, when we have the time.

We are saving for road bikes now. We used to cycle a lot of trails and what have you, but after a wrist injury the trails cause too much pain so we stick to the roads, hence getting a road bike.
I used to cycle in triathlons, years back, and loved the cycling bit. Sadly that road bike is no more after it was nicked from its securely locked shed at the back of the house behind locked gates and a German Shepherd. I think that the ex sold it when I was away working.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and hope to pick up some great tips and get some extra enthusiasm along the way.

ACS

Legendary Member
:welcome: :bicycle:

fimm

Veteran
Hi Saluki!

Welcome to the forums! Whereabouts in the Highlands are you? I live in Edinburgh, but like to get up north to go walking when I can. I'm not sure I would like to live in some of the more remote areas, though, I like the convenience of city life too much!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hello Saluki, and welcome to CC! :hello:

Depending on where you are in the Highlands, and whether you occasionally head south, you might want to have a look out for the CC Ecosse rides (informal & CC rides section). Some of us meet up every so often for a social ride (with obligatory cake stops), ranging across the central belt to Fife, Perthshire & the Trossachs so far.

T

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi
I am up near Cannich. Nice undulating cycling here. We have Glen Strathfarrar to cycle along. 15 miles each way, loch at the end and its gated so not too many cars. None at all on a tuesday :smile:

Haven't been able to get out on our bikes for a few days, the real world keeps getting in the way.

fimm

Veteran
Ah, I've been through Cannich. The mountaineering club I'm in goes to a hut up Glen Affric and we usually congregate in the pub in Cannich before starting the journey in to the hut. Glen Affric is lovely. I've not been up Strathfarrer yet.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Hallo and welcome :biggrin:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Hello
wave.gif

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
wave.gif
Saluki and
wave.gif
to CC.

Nicely remote there !
eek2.gif

At least you can take comfort that all the miles on the weigh-a-ton hybrids will be building strong legs, so you will really fly when you get real road bikes
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• wave.gif
    wave.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 32

michael3429

Welcome. For the scenery your very lucky to be from the highlands, I spent most my life in Invergordon and the cycling can be tough but i think the scenery out weighs the hard work. Really look forward to getting back up there when i get going again

Top Bottom