Hello from The North East

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks
I live about 10 miles North of Newcastle, been cycling on and off for most of my adult life starting off with a cheep mountain bike in an attempt to get me out of the pub. That was swiftly followed by a better mountain bike on which I began discovering the network of old wagonways throughout Northumberland and Tyneside. More adventurous riding followed with some serious off roading mainly in the Dumfies area and a few expeditions in the Lakes. I even carried my Trek 6000 a good way up Hellvelyn just so I could ride across the summit. My local off road routes began to feel boring by comparison so I parted with some more cash and got myself a road bike, a Joe Waugh Gold Medal.
My pursuit of road cycling introduced my to the local club scene and I joined Hades 69, took up time trialing and added to my stable with a second hand Joe Waugh 653 then two custom built Dave Yates frames, a 631 shod with Ultegra groupset for the summer and a 531 for the winter. Life constantly changes though and the demands of parenthood soon put the brakes on my club riding and time trialing, I was soon to be spotted towing a bright yellow child trailer around as I took my two cherubs swimming, to the beach or just out and about locally.
Parenthood didn't put a complete end to road cycling and I'm still riding my Yetesies as often as I can, which isn't anywhere near as often as I'd like. These days though I seem to have come back to more leisurely off road riding and my most recent purchase is a Specialized Crosstrail Comp which has more or less replaced the Trek. I also use the new bike for general commuting and for work as a Bikeability Instructor.
I'd like to try and find a bit more time for riding sociably whether on or off road and would love to use the freedom of being self employed to find ways of encouraging other people, families in particular, into more regular cycle use.
I hope to become a regular contributor to the forums in this community, that's when I'm not lurking around the many photography forums I'm involved with.
Michael

BigTam

Über Member
:welcome: Michael, not long on here myself, but enjoying the crack.

OP
OP
Michael Halliday

Michael Halliday

Hello Big Tam, looks like a good place to hang out. looking at all the other members I'm kind of wishing I'd used a different screen name, I'm known as Mick_H in some circles or The Doc to a select few, might have to have a look see if I can change it.:cheers:

OP
OP
Michael Halliday

Michael Halliday

Hello addictfreak
Sadly Hades 69 are no more, a few of the lads defected and formed The Hadrian Road Team and soon after I think the club folded, I'd more or less dropped out of the club scene by then though. Along with GS Metro we were sponsored by Steels and during the late 90's were ever present in the time trialing fraternity.

and Hello Steve

Hello addictfreak
Sadly Hades 69 are no more, a few of the lads defected and formed The Hadrian Road Team and soon after I think the club folded, I'd more or less dropped out of the club scene by then though. Along with GS Metro we were sponsored by Steels and during the late 90's were ever present in the time trialing fraternity.

and Hello Steve

Well GS Metro are still around. I think Barnsbury CC are up your way to.

OP
OP
Michael Halliday

Michael Halliday

Managed to get out for a 20 mile circuit on the Specialized this afternoon, down to Whitley Bay and back along through Seaton Sluice. Slippy as hell on some of the off road tracks but a good fast ride along the coast then a mental headwind back up from Blyth. I only took that route so I could pop in to my mams for a cuppa.

carolonabike

Welcome Michael, :hello:

There's quite a lot of us from up here. Mr Carolonabike has a Joe Waugh which he bought in the 80's and was still riding until earlier this year. Great bikes.

Top Bottom