Hello ... New Here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tal

Hello ... I haven't ridden in many years. I and my boyfriend just got new mountains bike for Christmas. They are Gravity FSX 2.0 Full Suspension bike. I had them put together at a bike shop. The shop owner said that they look like good bikes and should last a lifetime if taken care of.

I live in Michigan and, unfortunately, there is 6 inches of snow on the ground so riding is not possible at this time. But there are a lot of trails around here. I am very excited but a little nervous as well. I am really out of shape and am not a spring chicken. However, I know that if I take it easy and don't try to do a marathon the first day or two, I will be ok. I was an avid athlete in my younger years.

I am open to any tips that anyone has for me. I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Tal

boydj

Legendary Member
You should lock out the rear suspension until you are able to tackle technically difficult terrain. Similarly, you should have the front suspension at its hardest setting. The reason for this is that a lot of pedalling effort is lost in fighting the suspension when cycling on relatively smooth tracks, which is where you should be starting out to gain experience.

It's great that you are trying to get into cycling, and you should have great fun on the local trails - even in the snow.

OP
OP
Tal

Tal

Hi there, and thank you for the reply!

I can't lock out the rear but will be setting it at its hardest adjustment. I can lock out the front suspension though I was thinking of just setting it hard but will consider locking it now.

LOL It is bitter cold here at the moment. I am more of a fair weather rider. I am so afraid of hitting ice and I really don't want to ride in the streets anymore - at least not too much, anyway.

Ice2911

Über Member
Welcome and just enjoy riding your bike,take it easy and build up gently. The distances soon increase, you will be surprised.

OP
OP
Tal

Tal

Thank you, alicat and Ice.

I do plan to take it slowly! I must admit, though, I cant wait for spring!

OP
OP
Tal

Tal

Hi there, OR!

Thank you for the welcome! I will post some pics (if I can figure out how to, that is LOL).

How is the weather in your part of the north?

ORrecumbent1

Haven't been hit with any snow in my part yet but, plenty rain. Just enjoyed a week of colder dryer weather but, looks like the rain is set to be back in a day or so. Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas and a Biking New Year!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello @Tal and welcome to the forum. Sorry you can't get out on the bike yet, I know your winters are quite severe.
As others have said lock out the suspension, you don't need it. You buy a full sus and then disable the feature, ah well. Without wishing to sound negative you might have been better off with a rigid/semi hybrid which would also weigh considerably less but never mind.
Have fun.
You might not be able to post pics until you've got a few more posts under your belt.

OP
OP
Tal

Tal

Hello Cycleops,

Yeah, the weather here can be brutal. I just keep praying that we wont have a bad winter ... meaning not TOO much snow this year!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the reason I got a full suspension is because of my back. I had back surgery and though it was quite a while ago, I am disabled. I used to ride street bikes without any suspension and they would leave me a bit painful at times going over rough roads. I thought the softer ride would be easier on my back. I am hoping that things get better with time and exercise (and diet). I also have more than a few pounds to lose!

I will post pics when I have some available.

Top Bottom