Hello newbie here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bealz998

Bealz998

so for the cheapish market but best quality what should i look into ? as before someone stated b twin 3 but i cant find one in my size ,58 i managed to find out as im 6ft 2. ive looked at viking but they dont come with the lightweight forks.

ceejayh

Welcome and good luck with finding something. I too have just got my first 'grown up' road bike.

If your LBS has a facility in the shop to let you try the bike on rollers, it's a bonus.

Mine did and the guy in the shop wouldn't let me leave until he was happy everything was set up right for me. He tried me on a 54cm frame, then a 56cm frame, then decided I looked (and I felt) more suited to the 54cm frame - top service if you can get it.

OP
OP
Bealz998

Bealz998

Welcome and good luck with finding something. I too have just got my first 'grown up' road bike.

If your LBS has a facility in the shop to let you try the bike on rollers, it's a bonus.

Mine did and the guy in the shop wouldn't let me leave until he was happy everything was set up right for me. He tried me on a 54cm frame, then a 56cm frame, then decided I looked (and I felt) more suited to the 54cm frame - top service if you can get it.

yeah ill see what they have got what bike did u buy ?

Doyleyburger

Veteran
As much as I hate to say it the Carrera TDF in Halfords is a lot of bike for its current sale price of £249. Not as good as the red Triban ......but probably next best thing. Especially if you know someone who can check it out for you ( as Halfords are hit and miss on cycle servicing)
I will agree with the post that Halfords carrera tdf is a fantastic bike, but halfords service and bike building qualities are questionable. Unless you trust your local halfords then get the Triban 3 B'TWIN.
I have the tdf and couldn't be happier with the bike, but it took a long time to get the bike to where I wanted it to be. Not in terms of upgrades but small issues with the halfords build quality.
If I had to choose my first entry level road bike all over again, then I'd go for the B'TWIN, iv heard its a fantastic bit of kit. Failing that, if you can up your budget slightly the Giant Defy would be an even better choice and you would probably be able to keep that a bit longer than most cheaper entry level bikes

Doyleyburger

Veteran
ive just brought my first bike carrera black and yellow from halfords £249
Good bike, just give it a thorough check over. Love my one

OP
OP
Bealz998

Bealz998

I picked it up at 11 and had a good few hours on it just got in going to have a rest and a drink then I'm off out again later I really like ridig it but the pedals are annoying as they move about as u try put them on

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I picked it up at 11 and had a good few hours on it just got in going to have a rest and a drink then I'm off out again later I really like ridig it but the pedals are annoying as they move about as u try put them on
yes I am still to get the clipless pedals, apparently you never go back once you have them and you can generate more power too. I went out for the first time in 3 weeks today and only managed 8 miles. Felt like it was my first time all over again lol...... Knackered

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.

A good starter bike at that price. You should have lots of fun on it. Keep it clean and lube it regularly and learn to service it yourself by asking advice on here or searching you tube. A quick tip to keep it smart is to smear a dollop of Vaseline into any of the chrome bolt heads as they will rust quickly otherwise. As for the pedals - their is a knack of tipping the top of the pedal towards you and sliding your foot in when cycling with toe clips. Many will advise you to go clipless....which actually involves buying pedals that have clips that attach to cleats on special shoes. They are called clipless because when you are cycling the clip is hidden so appears to be clipless. Most serious cyclists use these - but they're not for everyone. You can search on here of you want to know more about them. Often tjey they are referred to as SPD's (Shimano Pedalling Dynamics) but other makes and types are available.....

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Thanks for your help and advice people there's a red tribal 3 for sale near my house on gumtree £280, which I have asked about .
That's not bad. I have seen bog standard red ones on ebay for getting on for £400 nowadays.
If you can get a red one from Decathlon, I'd just go for it. If you hate it you can sell it and not lose a penny.

:welcome: BTW. I am just up the road in Wymondham. There are a few of us Norfolk types on CC.

Top Bottom