Hello - site newbie from Bedfordshire (barton le clay)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marc78

Hi

Did a bit of training for the L2B this year and the cycling bug has bitten! Months after I'm still up at the crack of dawn for 2/3 hours riding at the weekend, and I manage to get a ride in now and again after work. Getting a bit more difficult now the lights fading

Started off on my dawes MTB and put some semi slicks on it, but was getting well and truly hacked off with all the road bikes whizzing past me. Then my work introduced a cycle to work scheme so I bought a Ventura Protour road bike....I'd never heard of the make either!...but it's pretty light, and the spec isn't bad so it will do me for a couple of years before I shell out for something with carbon forks etc

Found a few good routes round my way, but started to get a bit bored. So if there's anyone round my way that wants to share routes let me know. I've mainly been doing parts of the chiltern cycleway which is generally pretty good for road bikes, although there is the odd trail that you need to work around.

I'm tempted to join a club, and I know there's one nearby, but i don't think my average speed is quite up there yet (15mph). If anyone is in the same boat and wants a co-rider, let me know. I see plenty of solo riders out on my rides so maybe some of you will be reading this thread. I'm a bit of an early bird (6.30 starts) mainly because I've got young kids so eating up a big chunk of the weekend isn't really an option....at least the roads are quiet at that time!!

In terms of next challenges. Not sure I'll do L2B again...it was a great event but it was too stop and start at the bottom of every hill. So, with L2B unlikely, London 2 Paris is next on the hitlist, but not through an organised charity event. Route is planned (London - Newhaven - Dieppe - Rouen - Beauvais - Paris) and hotels are booked for May.

There's also a night sportive in Cambridge in Sept that looks interesting. If anyones done it before, let me know if you think its worth the entrance fee.

Look forward to reading your posts and seeing if there is anyone in the area looking for a co-rider

Cheers

Marc

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Hi Marc & welcome aboard!:hello:

Hello Marc.

I know your area well, but live in MK so unlikely to cross paths.

Keep an eye on the informal rides forum, although your early bird status may be an issue, I do the early rides for the same reason. I will pm you if I am ever out your way.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
M

Marc78

Hi uphillstruggler

I work in mk so pretty familiar with your area too. How do you get on with those redways? I've got a pretty good route that I take when I come in on my bike if you're interested...

Head south east out of mk to wavendon
Drop down off the road that takes you to frosts and head past wavendon golf course
After a while you come to a T junction. Do a right then a left shortly after. You.ll cross the train line and then come up the hill into aspley guise. From there you head out towards ridgemont, then on to steppingley. That's probably a decent point to head back but you can come back through woburn and woburn sands. Other than mk its mainly country roads, few hills, nice scenery etc. I'd say that's about 30 miles.

What do you ride?

I'll look out for those informal rides. Have you been on one?
Marc

Hello Marc

I like your route, I did a similar ride in reverse with a mate of mine, its great if you avoid the main roads around there.

I haven't been on any of the rides due to the late starts (kids usually) but I am booking onto the Martletts Friday night ride.

Where do you work in MK? If I can make an evening ride before the nights draw in, I will let you know.

The only time i use the redways is on the way to and from the pub :biggrin:

I ride a drop bar converted giant rapid road bike, bit unusual but suits me pretty well. How about you?

OP
OP
M

Marc78

Funny that uphillstruggler, I've been looking at the FNRttC blogspot today thinking that might be ideal!...just wish i'd found this site earlier. Have you done one of their rides before.

I'd imagine that you roll into brighton about 5 in the morning. Add brekkie, chat and train home, I reckon you could get back for 9ish.

The only thing that puts me off is the solo trip from Kings Cross To Hyde Park Corner on my todd at 11.30pm!

I'm riding a ventura protour at the moment...i've never hear of the brand, but I just searched out as much spec as I could find within my budget. I didn't want to spend a fortune in case I didn't get into it. I'm pretty pleased with it and gradually I've made little adjustments to get my riding position bang on...there's tipex on anything that can be moved now so I can get it back to how I like it!

Top Bottom