hello!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigHeavy10

Regular
Hello all.

I've been away from bikes for a couple of years now, I used to ride everywhere when I was a teen but that all stopped as soon as I discovered the wonderful world of motorcycling. I hadn't realised how lazy I had gotten and how much weight Id put on until two months ago when I started a new job as a security officer, I had to start walking a two-mile loop every two hours on a particularly large site I was working on. Something most guards were doing with ease, I couldn't do it without sweating my balls off and being out of breath a couple of minutes in. That's when I realised that I needed to make some changes.

I stopped drinking fizzy drinks, snacking on sweets all day, eating multiple packs of crisps each day and started to eat smaller portions for dinner.

Two months ago, I weighed 330lbs (23.6st) with a diet change and walking the two miles every two hours during 12-hour shifts, I am now at 295lbs (21st). I've started to feel a lot better, not just physically but mentally. my confidence has grown and in general im happier.

Last Monday, the 125cc scooter that I use to commute was stolen (recovered the next day but that's another story) and I had no choice but to drag my old Raleigh out of the shed to get to work on. I guess I've grown quite a bit since I last used it but I loved every second of being in the saddle. I've cycled to work every single day since then.

My two main goals for this year now are to cycle my first 50 miles in one ride and to get down to 240lbs (17st).

Im going to be buying a bike that is more my size on my next payday to hopefully make riding easier and even more enjoyable. Something, I wouldnt be doing without the great info on this forum!

Anyway, I've rambled on enough.

:whistle:^_^:bicycle:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hello and welcome. :welcome:. And a big well done for changing your diet and for losing weight and for literally getting on your bike. :notworthy:

OP
OP
BigHeavy10

BigHeavy10

Regular
Thanks guys.

I've been looking at new bikes again :rolleyes:

I've got a budget of around £350 but don't want used.

I've got my eyes on the Raleigh Helion 2.0, 23" frame (im 6ft4) with 27.5 inch wheels. 21 speed with mechanical disc brakes. Front suspension only. I'll be commuting on 5 miles of canal towpath with the occasional light off-road ride here and there on days off.

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucmFsZWlnaC5jby51ay9tZWRpYS9jYXRhbG9nL3Byb2R1Y3QvaC9lL2hlMjE0ci5qcGc=.jpg

Thoughts?
Are Raleighs still as good as they were when my current one was made (1985) ?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Thanks guys.

I've been looking at new bikes again :rolleyes:

I've got a budget of around £350 but don't want used.

I've got my eyes on the Raleigh Helion 2.0, 23" frame (im 6ft4) with 27.5 inch wheels. 21 speed with mechanical disc brakes. Front suspension only. I'll be commuting on 5 miles of canal towpath with the occasional light off-road ride here and there on days off.

View attachment 411198
Thoughts?
Are Raleighs still as good as they were when my current one was made (1985) ?
As a bike for your commute it should do fine, I would get some mudguards fitted though. Raleigh, like a lot of other companies get their frames from abroad, it's the components that make up the biggest cost. For what you want to do this bike should be fine.

OP
OP
BigHeavy10

BigHeavy10

Regular
Thought I'd update this a little...

I haven't been cycling much. Well at all. On Thursday 31st May I was involved in a minor collision on my 125cc scooter while riding to one of works more remote sites, I broke my left leg and had quite a bit of bruising. I had a cast on for 6 weeks but just haven't had any motivation to cycle. I've put most of the weight back on, so im back to square one.

I picked up a used GT Aggressor last week, Its a tad small but should do the trick until I find another mountain bike that's actually in my size, I just need to adjust the gears but that's another story. I also picked up an old Townsend road bike which is actually my size, Its nothing fancy and I know it is a low-end bike but it fits and is my first venture into road bike territory, being stupidly tall doesn't help me out much with modern bikes!

They both need a little tinkering but as soon as they're ready to ride, I'll start riding again and get those miles in.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Top Bottom