Helmet attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

Hawk

Veteran
The handlebars.

True. But I can't control the direction so effectively then. I think that the additional safety provided by a helmet mounted light might well outdo the risk of it going through my skull

Norm

The safest place, IMO, is the handlebars but there are times when safety can be compromised for a small additional risk.

I have a head-mount for my main light, but it's an elastic band with a Velcro strip which holds the light above my right ear and within the outline of my helmet. It's not ideal, nothing mounted on the head can be, but the benefits of a directional light outweigh the slim chance that something mounted there would snag or hit the deck.

I've also got a couple of Knog Frogs mounted in the vents, they don't sit at all proud off the helmet's profile.

However, every 'official' helmet mount I've seen has been, again IMO, incredibly risky, offering pressure points which would transmit any impact straight to the skull, snag points to catch on branches even without the wearer falling off, or both.

Recycle

Über Member
A helmet makes your head bigger than your brain computes it to be. Some years ago, a physio concluded that my most lasting injury following a freak accident (a rotational neck injury) was caused by my wearing a helmet and that I probably wouldn't have hit my head on anything if i hadn't been wearing it.
I have worked underground in low and confined spaces where a hardhat is mandatory and I can attest to that. I have only miscalculated clearances at walking pace but the compression to the neck still hurts like hell (and provides endless amusement for those in company).

Licramite

Über Member
I will agree with that, I,m always cracking my head on scaffolding because of the damned helmet, to top it all it has a peak so you can,t see just above the eye line, might save your head but it really jars your neck.
Its the same with my bike helmet you have to be carefuul not to ding people you are looking at the map with.
nearly got hung once by scrim netting as I got off a tank as it tangled on my helmet, of course the driver couldn,t hear me as he drove off.

so sticking lots of objects on them is only going it make it worse. admittedly your not normally sticking your head through narrow spaces on a bike, but it might be an issue if riding through woods/trees off-roading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom