Helmet Cam reviews

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Got a PM from a forummer at the weekend asking me about my camera, and they mentioned that it was getting hard to find out people's reviews of their various camera systems - I guess they are getting swamped by the build up of threads. So I though it might be good to have one thread as a sticky, where we can give reviews of our kit, for easy comparison -or at least only have one thread to read through. If anyone objects to another sticky, let me know. I though perhaps keep this for basic reviews and comments on each system - problem solving and ideas could continue in other threads...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I started with an ActionCam, which was frankly a waste of money. Crap quality, and only records for 20 minutes at a time (firmware cutout, not a card limitation).

Now have a Helmet Hero which is reasonable quality and comes with a vast array of attachment methods, including a specific cycle-helmet mount.

Ben

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have an ATC2000 with a 2gb SD card.

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ATC-2000.html

It's fine for my purposes. Relatively cheap, robust, waterproof, runs on AA's (so easy to use rechargables, or buy new in any shop if caught out) and a 2gb card gives about an hour of video. It's not as fancy as other systems that use a separate recorder and bullet cam, and it's heavier, but it's self contained. One drawback is that it's not much good in low light, and none in the dark.

And not having a view finder, you have to find the right aim by trial and error at first - but that's just a matter of a couple of rides (too high, too low, yes, that's it!) Can be helmet or bar mounted and I'm sure with a little ingenuity, a handy person could find other ways to mount as well - ona rucksack shoulder strap perhaps, or strapped to the upper arm...

I've been pleased with my ATC - to be fair, I don't use it day in day out, as I'm not riding day in day out, so I can't comment on long term durability. But the picture is good enough to read number plates...

the dragster

hi i have an action cam which seems ok for daytime.
i just bought an archos 405 system next is a bullet cam what kind do u recommend plz.

roshi chris

I'm also in the market, though i've just realised that as most of my commuting takes place in the dark (for the next six months anyway ;) ) so I will probly need to spend more on something a bit more flash won't I??

thomas

the tank engine
I've got an ATK2000 with a 2GB card. For the money it is great! It's not fantastic in poor light but okay. When it's night time you won't get a whole lot useful footage...but you can still use it to yell out number plates/etc.

For a first camera I'd recommend it so far :rofl:

PrettyboyTim

Cullin said:
Hi,
The ATC3K Action Camera states in the spec that LCD staus : B&W.. is it not colour ?

The ATC3K just has a screen to tell you how much space you've got left on your card, that sort of thing. Much like the kind you might see on a digital watch. It does not display the footage captured by the camera.

Cullin

Über Member
Hi PBT,
Just received today my Christmas Pressy, ACT5K... Very nice, will have to get the wife to wrap it for the 25th, I did pass onto another guy, that in the manual, it does not tell you how to save the batteries by switching the screen off.
Start videoing then press middle button (confirm) to turn screen off.. and again to turn on.
Cheers.

thomas

the tank engine
I just thought I would say that I've written a pretty comprehensive review on the ATC 2000 Helmet Camera, and put some photos of the ATC 2000 and some more or less raw ATC2000 video footage.

The website is still in its infancy, but I needed something to do in between revising for UNI exams and stuff. I'm still working on the website, but hopefully it'll all be ready and finished for around the end of May. I'm going to do some proper video reviews on the ATC2000 and depending on how the site goes I might upgrade and test out the other cameras.

If anyone wants to submit anything for the website just give me a PM :sad:

Top Bottom