Helmet Camera Advice Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vic27

Hi,

I am looking to get my dad a helmet camera for when hes out cycling in the country side or mountains as he always comes back with stories but not proof lol so to sort this out i have decided to get him one for his birthday, problem is i have NO IDEA where to start, can anyone recommend a few that i can choose between? was thinking of spending a maximum of about £80.

Thanks in advance for those of you who reply.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You're going to hear a lot about the Muvi in the next few posts.
A good camera and in your price range.

g00se

Veteran
Like Gaz said, Muvis are reasonable cameras and fit into the price range. They also have the 'atom' model which is a little bit smaller.

You can get a Muvi a bit cheaper if you get the unbranded version called an MD80. HOWEVER, there are a lot of cheap copies of these.

The muvi and pukka MD80 are metal with sliding switches - the clones are plastic with push buttons. The clones work OK - I have one - and are about £15-£20. But you'll get longer videos from the Muvi/MD80 for the same amount memory.

Muvi here

MD80 here and here

Clone here

OP
OP
V

Vic27

Gaz and g00se thank you so much for your information. i will have a look at the links.

great stuff, have a good night.:tongue:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The clones are ok to start off but if you can get the better models.

In my experience i have had 2 that have always had charging issues, thanks to another member here i ( well he ) has hopefully fixed it.

lit

A slight deviation, for anyone that has the Muvi, how accurate is the battery life claim 2-3 hours, ideally I'd like at least 4 but if it can do 2 and half to 3 I'd be tempted.

Thanks

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The most i have gotten out of it is 1 hour 30mins and 54 seconds

lit

Thanks Gaz, I may just take a punt on it anyway and keep it for the busy roads etc.

Cheers Ian, I was thinking of the atom when I wrote that, which seems to have worse battery life than the Muvi.

kewb

battery isnt the worst thing about md80`s its the memory thats utter pants
2gigs gives 20 mins of video , you could get a feature film on that amount of memory
i just got one used it once recorded 20 mins of the road under my helmet the mounts are flimsy plastic i used cable ties to reinforce them and its already at the back of a drawer gathering dust .

My estimates were based on the muvi as the clones seem to have wildly variable battery life(see the main md80 thread for comments about changing the battery) and bad compression ratios (hence 10 mins per gb so strictly for filming particularly interestings parts of your ride) and if the battery dies during filming may fail to save the file in time leaving your micro sd card apparently a few gb smaller requiring a reformat to get it back.
If the camera were handle bar mounted and there was space for a small handle bar bag then you could boost battery time by using a usb powerpack assuming vibrations don't cause the cable to fall out. But I wouldn't fancy taping a wire round a helmet, down the back of your neck and into a back pack.

Top Bottom