'helmet' camera rear mounting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've been thinking about the potential ways to mount my contourHD onto the rear of my bike to replace the muvi i was using.
In short there aren't any specific mounts to do so.
After some digging and the idea of using the standard camera mounting bolt that is found on the universal adapter for the contourHD i found out i could use 3 RAM parts to mount the camera to the seat post on my bike.
Due to the use of the standard camera mount bolt, any helmet camera or camera that has this default camera thread it can be used with this.

4954920089_b95b6a739c.jpg

See more pictures and details of the parts on my blog post >

manalog

Über Member
I've been thinking about the potential ways to mount my contourHD onto the rear of my bike to replace the muvi i was using.
In short there aren't any specific mounts to do so.
After some digging and the idea of using the standard camera mounting bolt that is found on the universal adapter for the contourHD i found out i could use 3 RAM parts to mount the camera to the seat post on my bike.
Due to the use of the standard camera mount bolt, any helmet camera or camera that has this default camera thread it can be used with this.

4954920089_b95b6a739c.jpg

See more pictures and details of the parts on my blog post >

Thanks for sharing this Gaz, I too had been trying to mount my other Contour under the saddle but I can't find suitable hardware to do it. I was going to install mine upside down to give it a 'low profile' tucked in between the saddle rails. Did you adjust the lense so that you don't have to rotate the footage?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Couldn't you rotate the ball head such that the camera "dangles" underneath it, then rotate the lens to get the footage correct? That way there's no chance of it rubbing, it's further protected in the event of any collision (in line with the wheel so as far from both sides of the bike as possible).

Looks a nice setup, btw... need to get my camera sorted out again... grrr!

Number14

Guru
Looks good but it's going to get filthy as soon as it rains.

I tried using the contour handlebar mount on the bottom of my drops for a rear view, although if you use the drops for cycling it wouldn't work too well. Having it on the bar ends means you can switch it on and off easier.

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Couldn't you rotate the ball head such that the camera "dangles" underneath it, then rotate the lens to get the footage correct? That way there's no chance of it rubbing, it's further protected in the event of any collision (in line with the wheel so as far from both sides of the bike as possible).

Looks a nice setup, btw... need to get my camera sorted out again... grrr!

Both ends of the middle bit are connected by balls, so in theory you can position it in anyway possible.

Looks good but it's going to get filthy as soon as it rains.

It's off centre from the wheel to avoid that, and i usually use a mudguard when it rains :smile:

manalog

Über Member
The lens can rotate 180degs so i didn't have to dismantle it.

Thanks Gaz, I thought you can only rotate it to a certain degree. When I'm done with mine I'll post some images. Im also looking into IR for Winter/night filming.

Top Bottom