Helmet cameras, an alternate view

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Got into a freindly argument, with a magistrate, over the use of mine. Said that for the purpose it was intended it was cleared for use. Recreational use/ personal use.
Both agree on that point, no problem. However I was told that if I were to point the camera at a child, then the camera & its use becomes illegal. This even if I were wondering whether the "child" standing at the edge of the road was about to run out into it.

Anyone else come across this one

I'd imagine a few thousand CCTV cameras every day capture images of children. You ought to ask your magistrate friend under what law it would be illegal to capture images of children on your helmet camera.

Edit:

From the Information Commissioners website -

Images taken for recreation, such as on mobile phones, digital cameras and camcorders, are also exempt from the Act.

So not illegal.

No and this is bollox.

Taking pictures of people(inc. Children) in a public space is not and never will be illegal unless you are going to publish it, in which case faces can be blurred etc.

*(but they could use anti terrorism law to detain you...for anything they don't like)

I had a friendly magistrate perform a citizen's arrest on me once for taking photographs in a public place. He spent an awful lot longer in the police station than I did. It's frightening how ignorant some can be.

benborp said:
I had a friendly magistrate perform a citizen's arrest on me once for taking photographs in a public place. He spent an awful lot longer in the police station than I did. It's frightening how ignorant some can be.

The fact is that magistrates don't always know the law!
Its actually the clerk of the court who is the expert, and advises them. At least that's what I have always been told.

Stipendiary magistrates usually have a very sound working knowledge of the law, but they are rare beasts - they sit alone. Most magistrates are of the 'lay' type, and sit on a bench with two colleagues. I could tell you stories about the ignorance and incompetance of lay magistrates that would make your hair curl.

Taking photos in public that include children, whether for publication or not, is in no way illegal.

thomas

the tank engine
If the kid ran out of the shower, out of the house and across the road naked, then yes, I would imagine having that on film could be considered illegal under certain laws.

Other than that, I doubt it and quite frankly couldn't care less.

Top Bottom