Helmet cameras article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Well reasoned article. The only point that might be missing would be the legal implications of filming all of the time; there have been discussions here before, but does that not raise some data protection law issues?

Other than that, its a good bit of work.

Nice one Mike.

I disagree a little with the head mounting being more shakey. This was the case with the ATC-2000 which seemed prone to wobble, but the new camera I have seems to provide more stable footage even attached to my head.

The other advantage of having it on your head is that you can analyse your observation skills, i.e. it allows you to see when you are looking and where. This could be vital evidence in the situation of an accident.

It might be worth including some evidence for your power of one section. Not wanting to blow my own trumpet but my experience with First proves that having video evidence can make a difference. You could link to the Evening Times article.
Actually I am going to meet with Glasgow City council over the next couple of weeks to chat about how they can help to take things further. Very positive!

Lastly, how about a link to actioncameras http://www.actioncameras.co.uk

They aren't the cheapest, but they do have plenty of examples on their website of different cameras and set ups.

PrettyboyTim

It seems to me that the handlebar mount tends to pick up more vibration from the road, and on the ATC2K tends to render the microphone useless (although the mic on the ATC2K is pretty rubbish anyway). If it's on your head it should be able to pick up any choice words you use to another road user. This may or may not be a good thing! :angry:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Doh, can't believe I forgot to put in your work with First, Magnatom! On the shaky, I mean more that the viewpoint changes often and rapidly, and that can be disconcerting. I'll edit now...

Good point Tim, that also needs to be put in.

BentMikey said:
Doh, can't believe I forgot to put in your work with First, Magnatom! On the shaky, I mean more that the viewpoint changes often and rapidly, and that can be disconcerting. I'll edit now...

Good point Tim, that also needs to be put in.

No need to name me Mike, just nice to make the point that camera can make a difference.

will

thanks

nice article

I had never thought of the option of using a camera to help stop incidents

mcd

Cab said:
Well reasoned article. The only point that might be missing would be the legal implications of filming all of the time; there have been discussions here before, but does that not raise some data protection law issues?

I'm a techy rather than a legal eagle, so can't help you with this one. Last summer I cycled past a large police station in Antrim - one with very prominent signs banning any photography. Not sure they would be very impressed if I went back there with a helment cam running!!!

Top Bottom