Helmet in France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jorgemartin

Hello,
I'm off for a week of touring next week in the south of France. Wondering whether I should take my helmet with me. I only will if it's compulsory. Does anyone know regulations there?

Cheers

Crankarm

Guru
A hi-viz gilet at night is mandatory though.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Take it anyway...for some reason, I never feel like wearing a helmet in France, so last summer for most of our tour, my helmet swung happily around, tied to my rack bag. However there were certain roads where I bunged it on immediately, and even the husband put his on when descending cols as you're going so much faster. They weigh nothing, I think it's worth taking.

yello

Helmets not compulsory. Hi-viz is compulsory at night and/or in poor visibility but not in towns and cities. So definitely take the latter.

Practically, helmet use is probably as asterix suggests, i.e. 50/50. In my club, it is exceedingly rare for there to be someone without a helmet and my observation of other club rides would suggest this is the case with them too. But this is balanced by the number of solo cyclists 'sans casque'. It seems to me that hardcore roadies don't almost as a rule!

For touring, I personally wouldn't bother with a helmet. But take a cap.

Crankarm

Guru
yello said:
Helmets not compulsory. Hi-viz is compulsory at night and/or in poor visibility but not in towns and cities. So definitely take the latter.

Practically, helmet use is probably as asterix suggests, i.e. 50/50. In my club, it is exceedingly rare for there to be someone without a helmet and my observation of other club rides would suggest this is the case with them too. But this is balanced by the number of solo cyclists 'sans casque'. It seems to me that hardcore roadies don't almost as a rule!

For touring, I personally wouldn't bother with a helmet. But take a cap.

Chapeau.......!

IGMC
;).

waffle

the roads are so noticeably quieter in places than england that its easy to think a helmet isnt worth it at times

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
yello said:
But take a cap.
...compulsory in Holland.

yello

waffle said:
the roads are so noticeably quieter in places than england that its easy to think a helmet isnt worth it at times

That's true. The road surfaces are just as hard in France as in the UK!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
waffle said:

Helmets are worth it any time on the roads, they were invented for mountain biking, and that is where they should have stayed!

Helmets have absolutely nothing to do with road safety, they are a total red herring...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
yello said:
That's true. The road surfaces are just as hard in France as in the UK!

Are Danish and Dutch road surfaces softer?? Maybe that is why the Dutch and the Danes don't wear helmets, after all there are more cyclist is Denmark and the Netherlands than in France and the UK put together :biggrin:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
HJ said:
Helmets are worth it any time on the roads, they were invented for mountain biking, and that is where they should have stayed!

Helmets have absolutely nothing to do with road safety, they are a total red herring...

Shurely shome mishtake:wacko:

Top Bottom