Helmet lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Are they a good thing?

I like the idea of convenience with front and back light on my helmet, of my bike lights fail I can get home

Anyone use them ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Are they a good thing?

If you don't like solid objects rammed into your skull in a collision then no.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Fine if they are to be seen by, not if they are to see by.
Even then I’d use them only as a supplementary to proper lights on the bike.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Are they a good thing?

I like the idea of convenience with front and back light on my helmet, of my bike lights fail I can get home

Anyone use them ?
If you want redundancy, just put more than 1 rear and front light on the bike. As someone else already mentioned, helmet lights have a tendency to blind oncoming cyclists and pedestrians, because even with the best of intentions, their users don't always keep the lights pointed down.

A nice bright one on the front is great for blinding people coming towards you.
And rears for blinding cyclists behind - cleverly positioned to shine straight in their eyes. Used by a fair few idiots in london.
No good reason why you should be left lightless - just carry a couple of small spare lights that clip into the clamps on your bike. Or some spare batteries.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
To me, with my drivers hat on, when I come across a cyclist with a head light, it just confuses me. The moving light on the head does not to me give me an image of a cyclist. Can be confused with a pedestrian carrying a torch.

Wheras when the bike has a light in a fixed position, I instantly recognise as a cyclist.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No they are not , mount your lights on the bike, correctly angled, and all will be well in the world.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well the jury seems pretty clear.
So maybe the only question is, why do folks do it?
They think it makes them look like a go-getting trendy road warrior?
They don't want to add to the bike's weight?
They think it makes them more visible presumably, without considering the potential effect on others. If worried about lights failing, get better lights or carry a spare cheapie

winjim

Smash the cistern
The redundancy / failure issue is solved by reflectors. There is no problem which is solved by helmet lights, but a number of problems which are caused by them.

I can't believe it's the time of year already when I start banging on about reflectors. I love reflectors.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well the jury seems pretty clear.
So maybe the only question is, why do folks do it?
They think it makes them look like a go-getting trendy road warrior?
They don't want to add to the bike's weight?

Folks do it because they're don't think. I've given CPR to someone with a torch sticking out of his skull, and spent the rest of the shift wearing a pint of his blood. That kind of decided the matter for me.

PS, he lived, spent 6 months learning to walk again, and another 6 before he left hossy. 11 or 12 years on he still sends me Christmas cards.

Top Bottom