Helmet Mirrors - any users?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Falco Frank

Über Member
Just ordered a Blackburn helmet mirror via Ribble as I think it might be a good option for the future. Esp, as my trike does not have any mounts (yet) for adapting a mirror to fit (Bar end friction shifters, fitted).

I'm wondering how easy/hard it is to shift focus to the mirror and more so when the thing is moving.

Comments appreciated.

classic33

Leg End Member

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A workmate had one, and was praising it, so it worked for him.
I've never used one, but am slightly less sceptical than I was. even though I can imagine a lot of snags.
I don't wear a helmet so haven't tried to contrive an elastic band arrangement to fit it to a woolly hat

byegad

Legendary Member
Not wearing a helmet I use a glasses mounted mirror. When I commuted on a DF I wore a helmet and the helmet had a mirror fitted.

From my recumbent position looking over my shoulder gives an excellent view of a few feet of tarmac near my rear wheel. Two mirrors mounted on the handlebars are useful but not foolproof and the glasses mounted mirror allows me to view a sweep of 180 degrees to my rear with a turn of the head so making sure there's no blind spot behind.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Not wearing a helmet I use a glasses mounted mirror. When I commuted on a DF I wore a helmet and the helmet had a mirror fitted.

From my recumbent position looking over my shoulder gives an excellent view of a few feet of tarmac near my rear wheel. Two mirrors mounted on the handlebars are useful but not foolproof and the glasses mounted mirror allows me to view a sweep of 180 degrees to my rear with a turn of the head so making sure there's no blind spot behind.
Can you post a link to the one you've got, byegad?

starhawk

I earlier had my mirrors mounted on top of the steering levers but then I upgraded to Bar end shifters, but I added a pair of Bar ends right under them so the mirror got mounted there. But it was way to wide and the usual error persisted: when you turn, the mirrors show the area on the side of the road, not the road. So when I bought the Helping handles I mounted the mirrors on them, problem solved! Having a mirror on the helmet sounds very fragile but you have the advantage of panoramic view by just turning your head.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Just ordered a Blackburn helmet mirror via Ribble as I think it might be a good option for the future. Esp, as my trike does not have any mounts (yet) for adapting a mirror to fit (Bar end friction shifters, fitted).

I'm wondering how easy/hard it is to shift focus to the mirror and more so when the thing is moving.

Comments appreciated.
Shifting your angle of gaze - answered by others above.

Shifting focus - you would need to change focus to look at the frame or mounting of the mirror, as that is much closer to you than your view of the road ahead. However the image in the mirror is a long way from you - so you shouldn't really need to change focus to look at the road behind you.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I personally couldn't get on with one, but they seem to work for some. For me, the image was too small, and in the dark it wasn't much cop. Maybe I've been spoiled with the mirrycles I've had on all my bents.

starhawk

There is a helmet with an inbuilt backviewer just above the front opening, you just look up, It is a sort of optical junction from an opening in the back of the helmet so there no electricity involved. But the helmet is intended for a MC so it might be heavy.But it wouldn't be so fragile as the solutions I have seen so far.

OP
OP
Falco Frank

Falco Frank

Über Member
I actually have the cycling version this company started out making - ReVue or something like that. I always found the image too hard to refocus on but, a clever design

Top Bottom