Helmet mirrors - naff or cool?

Helmet mirrors - naff or not?

• naff

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • not

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

John the Monkey said:
Panter, pal of mine swears by these;

http://www.mirrycle.com/road_mirror.php

Reckons it's the best mirror he's used.

I have two of those on my recumbent trike - one on each brake/gear handle. They are excellent. The recumbent is the only pedal cycle I have where, due to the seating position, I think mirrors are *essential* to see what is coming up behind. On the uprights, a quick turn of the head is easy, but not so on the 'bent.

Bottom line - who gives a stuff if they look naff - if they provide you with what you feel you need, then go for it.

Cranky

Naffness itself.

I know of someone who was adjusting his as he rode along and hit a bollard, breaking a collarbone and ruining his front wheel. So that was a good safety device then.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Looking behind you gives those who are behind you a message that you are possibly about to do something, like changing direction. Such communication with other road users can increase your safety. Using mirrors is not only naff but it reduces your communication with other road users and therefore, potentially, your own safety...

HelenD123

Guru
HJ said:
Looking behind you gives those who are behind you a message that you are possibly about to do something, like changing direction. Such communication with other road users can increase your safety. Using mirrors is not only naff but it reduces your communication with other road users and therefore, potentially, your own safety...

I agree. When I'm driving, if I see a cyclist look over their shoulder I assume they are wanting to change lanes or something so I hang back.

HJ said:
I agree 99% of the time but looking back ocaisionaly tells that idiot "its OK to overtake, he'll swerve out of the way"

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
I agree 99% of the time but looking back ocaisionaly tells that idiot "its OK to overtake, he'll swerve out of the way"

For those sort of occasions, I tend to drop my head froward and look under my arm, so as not to give the wrong signal...

PaulB

Legendary Member
I have a small but very clear mirror that did have an strap-like attachment but it did look a bit naff so I modified it. I super-glued it to a bar end and simply stuck the bar end back in the handlebar. It's unobtrusive and makes me feel a whole lot safer, particularly on fast downhills where the wind noise renders your hearing ineffective and a turn of the head may be dangerous. It doesn't vibrate and I reckon for the pennies it cost me, it's a superb piece of kit.

As for people thinking it's naff, **** 'em. I'd rather look naff than be a corpse.

Top Bottom