Helmet mirrors - naff or cool?

Helmet mirrors - naff or not?

• naff

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • not

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

This one should start a debate ;-). A helmet mirror is designed to help you know what is coming up behind without turning your head too much - really useful if you are needing to change lanes, approaching a roundabout so need your attention forward but also need to know if it is safe to pull out while signalling - all challenging to your balance especially if the whole thing is at the top of a steep hill (like on my daily commute).

Good piece of kit or just a load of rubbish?

I think they'd freak me out knowing that a car is bearing down on the back of me I prefer to use my positioning ears and the ocaisional glance and IMO they do look a bit naff.

manalog

Über Member
IMHO, they look naff. The only ones I think looks cool are the Italian Handlebar Mirrors but I haven't seen one in real life yet.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
numbnuts said:
I used one for a while, there OK, then I bought a Blackburn mirror that fits on the hoods so much better

Do you have any details for that?

I tried a Cateye one but that was next to useless with the vibration.

HelenD123

Guru
John the Monkey said:
Panter, pal of mine swears by these;

http://www.mirrycle.com/road_mirror.php

Reckons it's the best mirror he's used.

I had one to try and really couldn't get on with it. It vibrated too much to see clearly in it and would then vibrate itself out of position. If I tightened the screw any more I wouldn't have been able to fold it in as you're supposed to when riding in company or to lean the bike up against a wall. The final straw was when I looked down to see the mirror had fallen over and was laying on my wrist.:thumbsup: I gave up after about 3 days.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
They did withdraw them from sale because of a (now fixed) problem with the mounting - I wonder if you got an early version?

don't use them myself, but my pal at work thinks it's really good, much better than the blackburn one he did have.

HelenD123

Guru
John the Monkey said:
They did withdraw them from sale because of a (now fixed) problem with the mounting - I wonder if you got an early version?

don't use them myself, but my pal at work thinks it's really good, much better than the blackburn one he did have.

It was new a couple of months ago so I assume it's the most recent version.

MajorMantra

I think they're totally naff and probably not all that effective. It takes a tiny fraction of a second to glance behind.

HLaB said:
I think they'd freak me out knowing that a car is bearing down on the back of me I prefer to use my positioning ears and the ocaisional glance and IMO they do look a bit naff.

Are they next to your regular ears? ;)

Matthew

Cubist

Still wavin'
Naff. Sorry.

Don't forget that looking round also helps a (alert, sensible and concentrating) motorist realise you may be about change course etc.

Top Bottom