Helmet or no helmet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robbiep

Über Member
Please help,

I'm going well with the training but really can't get on with wearing a helmet. I know, I know I'm leaving myself wide open for ridicule here but are there any other riders that enjoy the fresh air on their spud?

I feel guilty that I don't wear one but I just feel claustraphobic and it seems to make the ride more of an effort???

Do I have any support?

Robbiep

Your choice.....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I believe in free choice ,I usually wear one after trying to keep a lady alive after she was knocked off her bike by a car. sadly she died despite by luck a GPdoctor turning up 10 minutes later while we still waited for the ambulance, I dont know if her head injuries killed her or wether a helmet would have made any difference but modern lightweight helmets arent uncomfortable for me anyway.

battered

Guru
Only my second post here so I won't get too preachy. Suffice it to say that I was hit by a car in November, badly injured and I only survived because I was wearing a lid. As a result I'm a helmet evangelist, waking up in hospital and thinking "WTF happened to put me here?" concentrates the mind wonderfully. As said though, it's up to you, you're an adult.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
It's ok Mark, she stomped off when I showed her the first replies!

I shall make an enthusiastic effort to embrace the virtues of a skid lid! What are the most comfortable/lightest? Currently have a Giro and do not like it!

Can't help feeling I've given in far too easily.............

just got your message 'battered' - does sharpen the mind, thanks. more immediate is the bloody pain on the outside of my knee that's playing havoc with the training - bottom outside of knee/top of shin?

Mark_Robson

Go to a shop and try a selection on and see which feels the best for you. BUT dont look at the prices before you narrow your selection down to the one that you feel most comfortable in. Comfort should come before cost.
Personally I have a Giro Indicator and it suits my freaky head. :evil:

All I can suggest as regards helmets is going to a shop that has plenty, and trying plenty. I went to Decathlon, which has loads of different helmets, and loads of each one, and I tried on a lot, until I found one that really felt right.
Of course, plenty of other retailers are available.......

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Robbie, if you are going to wear one then make sure it is snell tested amd a decent quality.

There are loads of threads on here about helmet use (most end up in room 101) as they often get very heated.

At the end of the day the choice is yours.

Chrisc

Guru
Knee sounds like IT band issues.
Having physio for mine now. Don't try to ride through the pain cos it just gets worse. Rest it and go easy.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Thanks Chris, that's what the research i've just done suggests, rest, easier said than done but you're right. Can't seem to get the saddle height right, think that may be half the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom