Helmet or no helmet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I really don't wish to muddy the waters....

Yes, I wear a helmet because I think it might give my cranium a better chance against impact damage. Plenty of riders and medical experts think that this is not the case apparantly. When it comes to fun on your bike, the wind in your hair is a whole lot more pleasant than wearing a lid. I think that is pretty clear if you ignore the conflicting safety arguments. You decide what risk you want to take as a trade-off for increased fun. It is a personal matter, as others have said before.

robz400

James Cracknell's accident has got me thinking as well....

I've been commuting/training etc for a couple of years and covered around 5,000 miles and have worn a helmet about twice. I just never really thought about it. However lots of pressure from her indoors and people at work has got me thinking...

I've come to the conclusion that if i land on my head it'd probably be better if there was something between it and the road, and if the likes of Cavendish & co can do what they do with a lid on then I have no excuses. Think i'll be off shopping soon....

Just can't thnk of a good enough reason not to anymore.... Besides I don't think its worth the grief i'll get when inevitably fall off and bang my head!!!

Rebel Ian

I always hated wearing a helmet as I found them incredibly uncomfortable. Having found one that's bearable I now wear it all the time, mainly due to the same argument - even if they aren't designed and tested to withstand an off downhill at 25-30mph, in the event of that happening I'd rather have something else between my head and the road. Once it's on I don't really notice it but taking the time to find one that's comfortable is the key.

OP
OP
R

robbiep

Über Member
Since taking the plunge I've found one definate upside. Before wearing the lid I'd get sweat pouring into my eyes which is about as pleasant as a size 9 between the legs.

With it on no problems, there is an upside after all!

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi robbiep,

I don't have any strong evidence either way, but always wear my helmet without fail. It always amazes me the number of people I see overtaking me on their way to work with no protection - heads are so important!

I used to have a cheap (~£20) helmet and wore it all the time. Then the chaps in work recommended that as I'd started to ride to work that I aught to invest in something a little better. I bought a Giro Hex helmet (looks like this pic) for about £60, and whilst I didn't have too many major issues with my old helmet, I found it to be lighter, more airey, and a better fit. It wasn't until I was properly fitted for the nicer helmet that I realised how much nicer they could be.
Moral here is to perhaps try something a little nicer that's properly fitted? You might enjoy it moreso.

HTH,

MG

lpjr

A couple of years ago a colleague of mine was cycling to work and was on a fast section when a car pulled out directly in front of him. He impacted on the side of the vehicle. One of the witnesses stated, 'I thought a bin liner was being blown by the wind over the car, then I realised it was a person'. He landed approximately 15 meters further down the road landing on his head. He was wearing a top of the range helmet with good safety reports, when he came round in hospital the following day the helmet was handed back to him in pieces. The doctor left him under no illusion, he would have been dead without it. It took him months to fully recover, but he fully recovered.

Midnight

Whether or not you use a helmet is a matter for your own conscience. I choose to wear a helmet (currently a Met) for my own reasons, but I have to say that the first time I wore one it wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I'd anticipated.

Since the unfortunate accident suffered by James Cracknell I've bought a lid and will wear it without any further groaning!

Following this sad accident will you also be wearing a helmet whilst walking next winter:

Rebel Ian

Not sure I agree with the need to invest in something more expensive. The most uncomfortable ones I tried on were the most expensive. My £30 MET fits me perfectly however. Depends on the size/shape of your head!

Dan B

Disengaged member
I've hit my head on the road both with and without a helmet. Didn't die either time. But I have reasonable grasp of science and statistics and I don't think my own anecdote is a sufficient standard of evidence to recommend to anyone else what they do.

My vote is definitely for "do whatever makes you happier"

JNR

A friend told a story of a crash of their daughter. Cycling along a car pulled out, she went over the bonnet and her head hit the floor first. Her helmet exploded into pieces...my knowledge of science tells me that's better for your head than if it wasn't there at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom