Helmet or no helmet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would you wear a helmet if you were riding a motorbike? You may be a great cyclist, but there are some shocking drivers out there.

The British Dental Association is quoted by the pro-compulsion "Headway" charity as evidence for their stance.

The BDA advocates full face helmets for protection of the face, as the present designs are woefully inadequate in facial protection.

Secondly the functional design and testing of helmet only "proves" their worth up to impact speeds of 12 mph. In an impact with a car may (or may not) be able to prevent a head injury.

For vehicle type collisions we really need helmets more akin to motor cycle helmets in order to gain adequate protection from head injury at these types of impact.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
So - could we contribute anything worthwhile?

Probably.

The other very fruitful area of research would be into rates of serious injury amongst the pro cyclists. I don't know why no-one's done it yet - you've got 7 years of data after compulsion and years and years before compulsion/custom. You've got none of the issues that you'll have amongst the rest of us around risk compensation and compulsion turning people off cycling, or about changing exposure to risk.

jimboalee

Please Admin.

Start a 'Sticky' entitled "Wearing a helmet is the rider's choice".

Then we, the members, can paste newspaper clippings of fatal accidents where the cyclist recieved head injuries.

Maybe a photo or two. Lots of brains on tarmac.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Welcome to CC, Peter. I am no expert on anything at all by the way.

You are obliged by law to wear a lid on a motorbike. Game over.

Not quite - in accordance with the Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976 passed by the British Parliament in 1976, Section 2A "exempts any follower of the Sikh religion while he is wearing a turban" from having to wear a crash helmet.

I have always worn a helmet when riding a bike. The same goes for wearing my helmet when snowboarding.

There was a kid at my school who got his feet caught in his toeclips at a standstill, fell, and hit his head on the curb - no helmet. He suffered major head injuries and never went to school again. Not saying that a helmet would have prevented it, but it surely would have helped ?!

As it's not a legal requirement, it is up to you...

Peter10

Welcome to CC, Peter. I am no expert on anything at all by the way.

You are obliged by law to wear a lid on a motorbike. Game over. On a bike, you are not, and have to make a choice about risk, comfort, thrills and the possible down-side in the courts. That is purely a personal decision, and one that is hotly debated hereabouts. There are numerous threads. Search "Helmet" and you will have your head spinning ( a possibly tasteless turn of phrase) for hours. Whatever choice you make, just be thankful that you still have the freedom to make it for yourself, rather than having Big Brother bossing you about.

Ride safely...

I totally understand what you say, and yes it is the riders choice. I just won't take the risk as I have literally seen the back of peoples skulls split open at cycle accidents, even when attending accidents where the other vehicle was traveling less that 20mph due to the sheer amount of force that falling to the ground head first can create.

And, like I said, someone can be a great cyclist, but it just takes one idiot driver to pull out, change lanes or even open their car door to kill someone.

Should it be a legal requirement, no. It would be impossible to enforce and wouldn't always be relevant.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Please Admin.

Then we, the members, can paste newspaper clippings of fatal accidents where the cyclist recieved head injuries.

Great idea, at the same time to add balance we could post photos of riders who have not had a head injury grinning next to their bikes holding up a poster saying "IF YOU WANT TO WEAR A HELMET, IT'S YOUR CHOICE"

I don't wear a helmet.
But then again, I ride a recumbent trike.
I'm much more likely to smash my legs up in a crash, than to split my head open.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

JNR

I've done a bit of reading around on this one and I must admit, the 'science' isn't there for my previous idea of the helmet obviously being benefitial. I tried to find independent controlled experiments and failed but I did go out on my bike, 12 miles, with no helmet. I preferred wearing my helmet if I'm honest as my hair wasn't flailing about in the wind, so I'll be doing that in future. Or wearing a cycle cap.

;)

Personally I'm pleased I invested in a helmet. I had a low speed about 7mph accident in the dark last winter came of a high kerb which I never saw went straight over the handle bars and landed on the back quater of my head even with a helmet on I was badly stunned but when i took the helmet off to inspect it I was suprised to see a big dent in the helmet. would hate to think if that had been my unprotected head.

navrat_biker

Helmet,

Once helped a biker when he was knocked off his bike by a car, wasnt a pretty sight. Saw more of his head than i wanted!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Jim, you write a lot of crap and this one tops the lot.
You constantly brag about how far and how long you have been cycling. 40 years is it? And in all that time have you been wearing a helmet?
Please Admin.

Gila

Please help,

I'm going well with the training but really can't get on with wearing a helmet. I know, I know I'm leaving myself wide open for ridicule here but are there any other riders that enjoy the fresh air on their spud?

I feel guilty that I don't wear one but I just feel claustraphobic and it seems to make the ride more of an effort???

Do I have any support?

Robbiep

Gila

I usually wear a helmet when I cycle - unless I just go shopping or run a quick errand. Here are the advantages of wearing a helmet:

keeps your hair in place, i.e. when looking sideways or whatever on a windy day
protects against too much sun
helps you see when it's raining (if it has the little thing, visor or whatever it's called in the front)
keeps the hood of your rain jacket in place when it's raining - very good for warmth and to see where you are going
protects very well against hail - worked well for me twice
keeps you from getting scratches from low branches when cycling through woods (happens frequently)
keeps you a bit warmer on a cool day
looks cool and sporty
can be color-coordinated with your shirt and/or bike or panniers
last but not least it protects your head when you fall

If you want to feel sun and wind on your head, take the helmet off for a bit, and then put it back on. You will get used to wearing your helmet soon and it won't bother you anymore.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
[QUOTE 1075303"]
HELMETS MAY SAVE LIVES IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES
[/quote]

FTFY

By the way, there is nothing wrong with wearing a helmet and taking it off for a steep climb if you feel better doing so.

I never used to wear a helmet, now I figure as long as it fits well, I might as well, just in case. Just so long as the helmet is fitted properly

It is, like things should be, a personal choice and should not be (but unfortunately often is) used to reduce the culpability of another party who is at fault in a collision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom