Helmet users take more risks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

Exactly this. To my knowledge, there's only been two studies which compared the behaviour of motorists between helmetted and bare headed cyclists. Both showed the same effect: that motorists pass closer to helmetted cyclists than unhelmetted cyclists. The fact that two different studies, using different methodologies agreed is strong evidence of a real effect here (stronger, in fact, than epidemological studies looking at the benefits of helmets - which show little or no evidence of benefit from helmets).

Motor vehicles are by far the biggest threat we face on the roads. I don't need drivers of one and half tonnes of metal taking more risks with my life, thank you. That is probably the principal reason I've chosen not to wear one.

In the Bath study, it was helpfully demonstrated that dressing as a bearded tranny was even more effective.

Risk Anal. 2011 Mar 18. doi: 10.1111/j.1539-6924.2011.01589.x. [Epub ahead of print]
Risk Compensation and Bicycle Helmets.
So that's where I ought to be wearing a helmet?

Wish I'd known... :biggrin:

The findings are consistent with the notion that those who use helmets routinely perceive reduced risk when wearing a helmet, and compensate by cycling faster.
So let's get this straight - wearing a helmet makes you go faster? :unsure:

Wish I'd known that, too... :biggrin:

On a more serious note - I tend to share the view that helmet-wearing can lead to more close passes by motorists. I don't really know what's at the root of this, I'm no psychologist. Certainly, the last thing I look at when I'm the motorist, when I see a cyclist ahead, is whether said cyclist is helmeted or not. For me it just doesn't register: I aim to give the cyclist the right amount of space no matter what. But maybe I'm not your typical driver...

But:
I'm simply not going to wear one.
...this is precisely the opposite of what Dell remarked to me, in a conversation we had about five years ago. He said then, that he'd always wear a helmet, no matter what. Just goes to show: everyone can change their mind. I might one day think afresh. At present I'm a no-helmeter.

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

So that's where I ought to be wearing a helmet?

Wish I'd known... :biggrin:

So let's get this straight - wearing a helmet makes you go faster? :unsure:

Wish I'd known that, too... :biggrin:

You should have listened to me before.... now can I flog you a Thudguard?

mangaman

dellzeqq, I agree with your position on choice, however it really is important to understand risk compensation and other aspects of road user behaviour so that policy making can be better based upon evidence. This isn't particularly about helmets (or the quality of this particular study), but there are plenty of examples of practices that have been adopted because it is assumed they make the roads safer (e.g. barriers, lots of road markings, strictly define priorities etc), but which there is now evidence can make matters worse, by giving people a false sense of safety.

No doubt Jonsey, but you must admit this study adds nothing to the debate.

Granted I haven't read the whole thing, but the abstract is so full of holes it's like a Swiss cheese.

No evidence is often better than bad evidence - at least it's neutral.

Bluebell72

Don't know about the validity of the study, but I have read elsewhere that motorists take more care/give a wider berth to non-helmet wearers.

Someone wrote elsewhere on this forum that they have been told they look wider, and therefore are given more room when they have a rack and panniers on, I'd agree with this.

But I'm stopping short at having one of those flags on a stick protruding into the carriageway!

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Surely those that wear a helmet perceive more danger, hence the reason they wear a helmet. On a personal level, on the very, very rare occasion I wear a cap and not a helmet I get a kind of buzz from it. Thankfully though I have a strong sense of self preservation and having broken 2 helmets thus far I don't feel I am 'untouchable' in any way. I just think I'm thankful for wearing protective head gear.
Does it make me go 'faster' by the way? Not bloody up hill it doesn't
blush.gif

Probably worth reading the whole paper rather than the abstract. The HRV stuff is a distraction . The interesting bit is those who normally wear a helmet rode much faster when wearing a helmet than those who don't normally wear a helmet. Interesting indications but numbers are small and course to short to be definite though.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I conducted a survey of Islington Cyclists this morning

70% wore helmets
30% did not
50% of the helmet and non-helmet tendencies rode like idiots

my conclusion is that people should not be allowed to ride a bike in Islington. Unless they're from Lambeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom