helmets…

does the helmet come off the head once off the bike?

• yes, always

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • sometimes, if i remember

• no, never

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i always take the helmet off as soon as i'm away from the bike. seems that my club mates do the same, so why do people wander around with their helmet on, looking slightly like they're on day release?

stevenb

If I stop for a pee in the woods....then no.....I leave it on.
When I get back from a ride...yes it comes off.
Last week in my race I kept it on as we were waiting to be called to the start line up...so I wanted to be ready.
I can't say I've ever forgotten that I'm wearing a helmet....

Melvil

I'd like to say I always take it off but today for example I just forgot and besides, it was keeping me warm when I was walking on the coast!

pzycoman

If im stopping for a whiz or to eat something thats too fiddly that i cant open while cycling, it stays on. If i go into a shop (i.e. to buy a quick drink), sometimes i just unclip it and leave it on my noggin. Apart from that, it comes off quick.

longers

Legendary Member
The chap who owns the health food shop nearby can usually be seen walking round the supermarket with his on.

jonesy

Guru
I visited the CTC York rally a few years ago. One of the things that amused me was the number of people walking round the indoor displays with their helmets on. I suspect some of them kept them on all day, as well as their lycra...

andygates

Even though it would offer protection to my pedestrian self, I only wear 'em when I have to (offroad, or racing, or icy) and I learned to stay upright on my feet at a pretty young age, so my Magic Hat comes the hell off.

yenrod

..if your on a ride its bad enough wearing cycling gear, as its look at me apparell !.

Mostly I forget if im 'hammered' after a ride (putting the bike to bed) but mostly I DO remember.

If you've stopped at shops * - though ONE summer it was reaking with heat and I entered this shop nearly crashed thru the door as i got the cleats on the ground wrong wandered around on tiptoes then discovered a air-con unit on a really small shop ~ god me; total bliss ! * feeling the cold thru the helmet was fantastic then I realised that if I take the helmet off then I'll feel the coolness better ;)

:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Occasionally I forget I have it on, once I remember I usually remove it. But if I'm just nipping into a supermarket on a quick grab and dash and I have my hands full with pannier too then I might leave it on, or if I've fitted it in the pannier until I put the shopping in the pannier, then I may put it on at the till.:evil: (Now I feel I've said "I'm summerdays and I'm a dozy cyclist).

But I wish supermarkets and large shopping centres would consider that cyclists might like a locker to stash their helmet and panniers in.

Keith Oates said:
Depends on the situation but very often leaving it on the head is the most convenient way of carrying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd agree with that; if I'm working hard, for instance out with the club I can't wait to take it off at a cafe stop but if I'm shopping or something I like to keep my hands free, so I usually leave it on.

Top Bottom