Helmets and flies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

speccy1

Bit of a barmy idea this, but anybody tried it............

My daily slog to work takes in about 20 miles off road, on a disused railway. Going to work in the mornings is fine, but coming home - the bloody flies are making it hell:evil:

I always make sure I have a drink with me incase I eat one or twoxx(, but was thinking about taping up the front vent holes on my lid, from the inside so it wouldn`t show, to keep the annoying feckers out. At the moment I have to keep stopping every couple of minutes because there`s something else wriggling about in there.

I`m not going to change my route just for this, I enjoy it too much, just wondered if this simple fix would be practical?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Some helmets are made with mesh across the front vents for just this reason.

Mrs M

Guru
Wee skull cap on Ena Sharples hair net should do the trick :okay:
I've not worn my usual wee hat under my helmet recently as it's too warm, also having to stop to remove insects :angry:
Some helmets come with built in fly nets.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
uvex.jpg
My evening ride helmet Uvex

View attachment 133807

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Fly screens seem to be getting down to sensibly priced helmets now (aka to me less than £50) maybe time for a new one if its enough of a bother. Personally I'd rather keep vents open on occasions when I do wear a lid to save the sweaty scalp, but that bugs me more than bugs bug me. YMMV

Buff or bandana under it for a bit of breathability?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Going off topic a bit, i had a fly buzzing round my helmet the other day. I clocked myself doing 20 mph yet the annoying thing stayed there right in my face for about 20 seconds, How do they know how to keep pace with your speed i wonder?

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

I can`t stand the bloody things, they make me cringe, once something is wriggling around under there, it has to go, I think I`ll either try a buff, which I only ever use during the winter, or tape the holes up as I said. Either way I`m going to sweat like a b**ch, but that`s a price I`m happy to pay, as I like the route:okay:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Either way I`m going to sweat like a b**ch, but that`s a price I`m happy to pay, as I like the route:okay:

I enjoy it too much, just wondered if this simple fix would be practical?

There is an even simpler fix; they're not compulsory. Liberate yourself from the pointless plastic.....
(Rather than derail the thread, more info here).
It's even more enjoyable than dumping the Strava! :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom