1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helmets by Country

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by sloe, 20 Jan 2008.

1. sloe

sloe New Member

Anyone ever coma across a chart of what European countries you are required to wear a helmet, and how rigourously it is policed, and what might be imminent. I'm specifically interested in the Scandanavian countries, but curious about the rest as well.

2. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I believe it's mandatory in Spain!! Although sometimes you can get away without them.

3. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

4. OP
    OP
    sloe

sloe New Member

Very interesting, thank you.

5. psmiffy

psmiffy -

Not Norway, Sweden or Dennmark

However helpful link says

"In four of these countries the law covers children only, while in Finland and Spain everybody should wear a helmet when cycling."

I was in Finland in Summer 2007 and Spain in Summer 2006 - no Helmet - nobody said anything

6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

In Germany do you still need to wear those early aero designs with the spike on the top?

7. Crackle

Crackle Pah Staff Member

8. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

In germany the roadies live dangerously and take off their canvass helmet covers revealing their polished helmets and shiny roof rods. The GCTC however insists that canvass helmet covers be worn at all times.

9. Percy

Percy Well-Known Member

Germany has lots of strange rules, apparently, (heard of the manadatory dynamo lights one?) but a bike shop owner I asked just said 'Don't worry about it, Germany is crazy, nobody takes any notice'. That seems to apply for most places so I'd say just do whatever you feel most comfortable doing. Some places you might feel safer with one on though!

10. Tony

Tony New Member

Spent a week in Spain last year, doing average of 40 miles a day. No helmet, not a word said.

11. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I think you can get away with it in Spain, as I said...but we were quite grateful for them on some roads :tongue:

12. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

IIRC, because of the peculiarity of the way the law is worded in Spain you are required to be in possession of a helmet when on your bike - but you don't actually have to wear it...