Helmets in the press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Got back from Ghent last night. This is what it is like. See how many lids you can spot ... and in three days I clocked the same amount.
I guess that person gets the same pressure as us lidless ones over here. Cultural norms. Nuffin' to do with safety.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Got back from Ghent last night. This is what it is like. See how many lids you can spot ... and in three days I clocked the same amount.
I guess that person gets the same pressure as us lidless ones over here. Cultural norms. Nuffin' to do with safety.

Makes you just wonder whyour politicians can't see the potential despite us screaming?

screenman

Legendary Member
Good point DM. Utility, touring and recreational cycling are almost never covered in mainstream cycle mags, but they will be by far the largest denominator of new cyclists in years to come. Not everyone wants to be a racing cyclist. Perhaps there's a niche for a more leisure orientated cyclist magazine?
If that was the case then cycling magazines would be full of touring stuff now. Seems to me the sporting cyclist is growing faster.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
If that was the case then cycling magazines would be full of touring stuff now. Seems to me the sporting cyclist is growing faster.
A quick google search shows lycra clad cyclists as the UK norm, but believe me most new uptakers to cycling will be recreational and utility cyclists that want their freedom back.

Cycling is already growing big time, and (for me) it can't come quick enough.

Nothing against racers, but not everyone (despite the media big sell) wants to wear lycra and ride a carbon bike.

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you think utility cyclist will be a large source of income for magazines, depending on what sort of recreational cyclist you mean they may spend a few bob on mags.

OP
OP
ComedyPilot

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Do you think utility cyclist will be a large source of income for magazines, depending on what sort of recreational cyclist you mean they may spend a few bob on mags.
Not the current crop of racer-wannabe mags.

Dressing up in skin-tight lycra like that for cycling is like donning a Manchester United away kit to walk to the shop....

Sure there will be the inevitable influx of people drawn to the svelte side, but I truly believe 'normal' people if provided with NL-style infrastructure will flock to recreational/utility cycling in an unprecedented number.

compo

Veteran
This comment by Essex police's Sgt. Freeman has just made me wonder why "those who were fully complying with the law" would need to be stopped by the police.

Sgt Graham Freeman, who is running the operation, said: “The vast majority of people we stopped were very receptive and those who were fully complying with the law were most impressed that Essex Police was tackling the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom