Helmets stop people cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
@Smeggers II

We need a flounce adjudication :smile:

Oh and Joey, it's not that we think that helmets reduce the numbers of cyclists, it was proven in Australia when compulsary helmets were introduced: -

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1194.html

Interesting counter argument if you are interested.

http://www.publish.csiro.au/?act=view_file&file_id=HE12076.pdf

bianchi1

Guru
Some good up to date research here. (2013)

http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/media/vanilla/file/Bambach helmet effectiveness.pdf

Some abstracts:

Prior studies of cyclist use of helmets and head injury have not regularly examined proxies for risky cycling behaviour, which could introduce an element of confounding into case-control studies. It has been suggested that helmet wearers are more likely to obey traffic laws, wear fluorescent clothing and use lights at night (Robinson 2007, Farris et al, 1997, McGuire and Smith 2000), which may result in them being involved in less severe crashes than non-helmet wearers. Indeed, Lardelli-Claret et al (2003) found that committing a traffic violation was significantly associated with a lower frequency of helmet use. In the present study, non-helmeted cyclists were significantly more likely to display risky cycling behaviour (i.e. disobeying a traffic control and cycling with a BAC( blood alcohol content) greater than 0.05).

This case-control study of 6,745 cyclist casualties resulting from collisions with motor vehicles has indicated that helmet use is significantly associated with reduced risk of head injury by up to 74%. This includes reductions in risk of up to 78% for skull fracture, 72% for intracranial injury, 74% for concussive injury and 80% for open head wounds

StuartG

slower but further
I don't understand what you mean, when have I done that?
Yep, your performance here has been found to be lamentable. You really need to learn to destroy rather than wasting time trying to enlighten and/or persuade. Wishy washy liberal that you are :rolleyes:

<dons heavy duty human cannon ball type helmet>

The One That Got Away

Think he has a valid point.
Without going into the ''I wear a helmet because...'' debate , surely the main reasons for riding a bike are fitness, enjoyment and commuting. I've got as a policy whereby if I have to take more than 5 minutes getting dressed to go cycling then the ride isn't worth it as it won't then be enjoyable. I've gone 51 years without wearing one and sure as hell won't do for the next 51 years (wish I'd live that long)

Where are the statistics that say clearly that wearing a cycle helmet is beneficial?

Helmets don't save lives - common sense and awareness save lives.

What are you on about? Of course helmets save lives? Of course it is beneficial? Agreed your own common sense and awareness will stop you from getting into an accident but that does not stop someone else running into you? "Its not yourself its all the other idiots on the road"

The One That Got Away

:rofl:

Priceless! I've given you links. I can't help it if you're intelligence impaired...

I do feel throughout you were trying to insult and argue rather than have a discussion. I agree completely with ....
User13710 said:
Being that rude to new people on this topic is a waste of time anyway, and makes us look like a really unwelcoming bunch. Why is it necessary to be so rude? Whatever happened to 'softly softly catchee monkey'?
I do feel you weren't responding to his attitude and brought a lot more attitude than him.

Powely

it was proven in Australia when compulsary helmets were introduced

No one ever told me! ;) They had amazing cycle paths there so I didn't feel the same need for a helmet so never wore one and cycled 3/4 times a week for a good few months whilst I was there. I don't think it's really enforced there, well in South Perth at least it wasn't.

The One That Got Away

Are you really asking questions or have you forgotten the difference between question marks and exclamation marks?

Was this comment necessary! Are you contributing to the discussion! Are you just trying to one up me! You're making this forum look like its full of immature, unwelcoming idiots. I'm really disgusted at how you've behaved throughout this thread especially for a regulator. So be a good fellow and b***** off!

Licramite

Über Member
that is a surprise the aussie police are a bit shoot hot on the rules. - though my friends in Perth would worry more about skin cancer and wearing a hat than a helmet. - I've got more of a tan they have.

deadpool7

As a newer member I'm quite disappointed in how Joey, a brand new member, was treated here. I think we are forgetting that cyclists come in all sorts of skill and knowledge levels. I believe he made an honest mistake of putting in his two cents about a very polarizing topic, one he likely did not realize was so polarizing. Instead of being welcomed and directed, he was was bombarded and bullied, enough so that he felt this forum was unwelcoming. I feel the forum is an excellent community full of some great people and knowledge, but it sure wasn't displayed in these pages. I think some of us need to take a step back, chill out, and make an honest effort to be inviting and understanding the next time. Just my honest, humble opinion.

As a newer member I'm quite disappointed in how Joey, a brand new member, was treated here. I think we are forgetting that cyclists come in all sorts of skill and knowledge levels. I believe he made an honest mistake of putting in his two cents about a very polarizing topic, one he likely did not realize was so polarizing. Instead of being welcomed and directed, he was was bombarded and bullied, enough so that he felt this forum was unwelcoming. I feel the forum is an excellent community full of some great people and knowledge, but it sure wasn't displayed in these pages. I think some of us need to take a step back, chill out, and make an honest effort to be inviting and understanding the next time. Just my honest, humble opinion.

He was a wind up merchant who was posing as a new member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom