Helmets stop people cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
i dont wear a bike helmet whilst walking because on my bike i cant just jump into a ditch as i often have done when walking also it is illegal for bikes to use the paths but i use paths when walking when ever possible
Cheer Ed

Tango

Fortunately I haven't fallen off on the road much, but on the occasion that I did, my helmet came in contact with the road, on my mountain bike I am now on my 4th helmet in 9 years.

I can't understand why anyone in their right mind wouldn't wear a helmet when out cycling, are they that arrogant that they really believe that they won't EVER fall off?

It also sets a bad example to newer and younger riders.

I haven't looked at any statistics, and I could be wrong here, if you bash your head on the floor with a helmet on, you are likely to do less damage than if you weren't wearing one.

If that statement is true, then I think everyone should be made to wear one.

Tango

I'm sure it has and a sticky might be a good idea if it gets noticed, but casually browsing the forum looking at topics might mean the sticky goes un noticed

We have the sme thing with SPDs VS flats on the mountain bike forum

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I wear a helmet when I'm out on a 50 miler on my road bike. When I'm going the 2 miles to the supermarket on the folding bike using bike paths, I don't take the helmet, if it became compulsory to wear a helmet then it makes the shopping trip more difficult, I'd be more likely to use my car, it wouldn't change my road cycling however.

If the supermarket had truly secure bike parking facilities, ie a lockable box where I can leave a bike with helmet and panniers, then I'd wear a helmet with no fuss.

bianchi1

Guru
I wear a helmet when I'm out on a 50 miler on my road bike. When I'm going the 2 miles to the supermarket on the folding bike using bike paths, I don't take the helmet, if it became compulsory to wear a helmet then it makes the shopping trip more difficult, I'd be more likely to use my car, it wouldn't change my road cycling however.

If the supermarket had truly secure bike parking facilities, ie a lockable box where I can leave a bike with helmet and panniers, then I'd wear a helmet with no fuss.

Couldn't agree with this post more.

I can't see that helmet compulsory regulations will ever come into place as it would wipe out all the city bike share schemes in a flash. Boris would not be happy!

Tango

So suggesting that someone who doesn't wear a helmet is arrogant is being polite? You won't mind me calling you a ignorant knob then....

Arrogance in respect to the belief that they wouldn't fall off and need the protection of a helmet.

To suggest arrogance in relation to not needing protection in case of a fall in this way is not impolite.

In just the same way, you suggesting that I may be ignorant to certain things is also not impolite

However calling someone a knob does seem to be impolite.

Maybe you were struggling to find a suitable word to emphasise the word ignorant.

Can I suggest the word 'very' . There, extra emphasis without the rudeness :biggrin:

I keep hearing this argument. Who are all these walkers suffering head injuries? Is the main group in the data pedestrians who are hit by cars?

From the BMJ:

Of 3.5 million regular cyclists in Britain, only about 10 a year are killed in rider only accidents. This compares with about 350 people younger than 75 killed each year falling down steps or tripping.

So we have 35 times the number of cyclists here alone!

bianchi1

Guru
From the BMJ:

So we have 35 times the number of cyclists here alone!

You couldn't link to the article could you? I am genuinely interested.

Tango

Forgive me, I haven't come on to argue.

I have just never heard a single opinion that suggests that it is not better to wear a helmet than not wear one.

Would be delighted to hear one though

Tango

For much the same reason that I have no intention of wearing a life jacket for the 10 or so hours I will be on board a ferry next Thursday.

"There appears to water taken on board in the hold, would every body like to help them selves to a life jacket"

Seems reasonable

"I appear to have parted company with my bicycle, could I trouble some one to pass me a size large cycle helmet with the straps correctly adjusted to fit my head, before I land"

Seems unreasonable

Tango

Does that apply to children as well, or are the parents being arrogant when they fail to protect their children in this way?

I can't imagine letting a child ride a bike without a hat on

I was a Cannock chase last year and mum and dad had got helmets and gloves on, but little johnny in the child seat didn't have, I was flabbergasted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom