Helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

park1

Giro savant here. Light weight, good ventilation (better than my 4 year old spesh anyway) and reasonable price. Fit was good for me compared to a few others at similar price, but that is of course personal preference. It got a good review on bike radar I think.

As for no helmet option - to me now it feels wrong. In truth nobody wants to wear a helmet, but in time you get used to it as you know it's good for you.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a giro skyline. Cheap and cheerful, but to be honest, I don't wear it. I take it with me strapped to my bike bag. I only take it to stop Mr WD from complaining. Anything for a quiet life. The giro range is light, cheap, and fit quite well (when you wear them of course).

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The thing is you don't 'know it's good for you'. There is little if any evidence they actually help much. I'm not going to go into this any more here as this isn't the helmet dungeon, but a well researched view from CTC can be found here: -
http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/files/file_public/cycle-helmets-evidencebrf.pdf

The OP has decided to wear a helmet, so there is little real point in arguing about the pros and cons much here anyway. There are other threads for that.

Having made this decision then it will be best for him to get the most appropriate one for himself.

park1

@mcshroom fair point, it has not been proven that wearing a helmet is beneficial (and it has not been proven it isn't).

The only evidence I have is anecdotal. The collisions seen where cyclists have ended up with helmets split (now that really could be a nasty injury if taken out if context phnar phnar!) where I thought serious head injury would have resulted without a helmet.

I think looking at statistics at A&E can be misleading. For example cyclist ends up at A&E with head/facial injury but was wearing helmet. You would be right to conclude that the helmet did not prevent the injury, but who is to say it didn't reduce the seriousness (or to be fair exacerbated it).

My gut feeling is it has the potential to do more good than bad. So I rephrase my earlier post to "it's possibly good for you".

Now as for those copper wrist bands and healing crystals/ wind chimes I wouldn't have lived past 10 without them!

Last edited:

compo

Veteran
I bought a new helmet a few days ago, one of the Lidl specials. I am not one of these people who has a lot of faith in helmets but I have even less faith in our courts when assessing possible damages if I am knocked off my bike. How many times have you heard one of the first questions to be asked by the emergency services when attending a cyclist "Was he wearing a helmet?". All that aside, the new helmet has a nice red light built into it :giggle:

vickster

Legendary Member
No hard and fast rule, every few years not least as they get stinky. And immediately if take impact in an accident even if no damage. Polystyrene starting to look less than perfect is a sign too.

My 3 month old helmet needs to be replaced as I hit my head in mid-Feb accident

OP
OP
Dark46

Dark46

Veteran
I have a giro skyline. Cheap and cheerful, but to be honest, I don't wear it. I take it with me strapped to my bike bag. I only take it to stop Mr WD from complaining. Anything for a quiet life. The giro range is light, cheap, and fit quite well (when you wear them of course).

I looked at that one and as I found out in the end it only comes in Black with a little PINK I decided not to lol

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I looked at that one and as I found out in the end it only comes in Black with a little PINK I decided not to lol

:laugh: mine doesn't have any pink in it. Its black and grey.:thumbsup:

I bought a new helmet a few days ago, one of the Lidl specials. I am not one of these people who has a lot of faith in helmets but I have even less faith in our courts when assessing possible damages if I am knocked off my bike. How many times have you heard one of the first questions to be asked by the emergency services when attending a cyclist "Was he wearing a helmet?". All that aside, the new helmet has a nice red light built into it :giggle:

What needs to be done is to question the unprofessional and unacceptable behaviour of these individuals rather than reinforcing their poor conduct and practice

OP
OP
Dark46

Dark46

Veteran
While choosing by helmet I remembered that someone said the first thing people say on a cyclist is the head. Obviously if you have a bright colour helmet you'll be seen better. So have chosen a BRIGHT yellow one!

Top Bottom